RVs in the News

Friday, November 30, 2007

Winnebago Rolls 22 MPG Motorhome

With fuel price concerns worrying Americans, Winnebago Industries is set to roll out a motorhome that claims 22 miles per gallon. Admittedly, the "Class B" (van conversion) motorhome won't be a hit with fulltime RVers, those who do want to get out and about while not breaking the fuel bank may find this the katzmaow.

The 2009 model ERA powers up on a small turbo-diesel engine, built on a Sprinter platform. List priced at $91,000, eager buyers will have to wait until after the turn-of-the-year to put their money down.

Labels: , , ,

• PleasureWay has had that Sprinter chassis since 2005. This Winnie isn't anything new.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:44 AM, December 01, 2007

• $91,000 to save a little gas money ??

My 1996 Towncar pulls my LXE full sized Aliner and gets 22 miles per gallon. I have been from Indiana to the East and west coasts - Canida and El Paso, Tx. Yes, it does get 22 mils per gallon with reg unleaded.

You can by a used Aliner for $5 or $6,000 a far cry from 91,00 or If you just want to travel and boondock to save money get a used Full sized Buick station wagon. There is plenty of sleeping room in the back.

Jay

By Anonymous jays, at 6:54 AM, December 01, 2007

• I thing they are late in this Class B business, all of other compagny woke up a lot more rapidly than Winnebago.
    They had a super Class B the Rialta and they stop doing it at the time it was more and more popular. I did own 2 of them with a lot of satisfaction but I now bought a Pleasure Way Plateau mount on a Sprinter doing easily 22mpg . We love it.

By Blogger ancote, at 8:54 AM, December 01, 2007

• Jay, how is your TC setup? I have a 98 TC and would like to have a similar experience. Now the TC gets 24-25 HWY.

By Anonymous ronsoftail, at 10:27 AM, December 01, 2007

• I have a 2005 Dodge Sprinter with 27000 miles of RVING. The sprinter is a 140 wheel base and weighs in at 5700 LBS. I get around 22 to 24 MPG on the highway and 20 around town pretty much empty. I pull a 2008 Weekend Warrior Supercross, which weighs at 4300 LBS. I carry a couple of mountain bikes and a Honda 2000 generator in the TT. My total combined weight is around 10,500 LBS. Now here the catch to the MPG I average about 15 mpg towing the TT. The catch is this that the mpg is off because the speedometer is reading 5 more miles than it should be. And according to Dodge it can read + or - 5 miles. Well they set the speedometer to read for better fuel mileage and also that your warranty runs out sooner. I found this out when I installed GPS unit on my dash. 22 MPG I doubt it, more like 17 MPG is more realistic especially after you load up with 1500 LBS. of cargo and occupants. Beware of the claims Grogon

By Anonymous Grogon, at 11:43 AM, December 01, 2007

• Yes it's another mercedes powered 3.0 on a five speed transmission. Looks good on the ouside but it all comes down to the inside,as MPG's are one thing room is more important to most. The Itasca Navion IQ DL (it's a C) is the best I've seen yet. This one is after all a van conversion B unit.The DL has same engine & transmiossion and gets 15MPG towing about 18 Not. It is 24 feet with a rear slide that has a queen sized memory foam mattress.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:13 PM, December 01, 2007

• Anyone remember the dreaded LeSharo/Itasco units, also with an imported chassis, also diesel-"powered"?
    They were irresponsibly underpowered. Perhaps this model is a better unit, but at $90K?

Jay H.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:15 PM, December 01, 2007

• $91,000 for a weekend'er, class B! Who are they selling these to?? Who is the target buyer for a rig like this? TGO, retired in a Bounder.

By Anonymous TGO, at 2:05 PM, December 01, 2007

• Not everyone wants to push 30-40' down the road @ 5mpg 91K is low for these Spinter Diesels most start at 100K or more msrp. Most Diesel B's get 18mpg and up and gas B's 12-18mpg. Now the larger manufacturers are looking to down size to stay afloat IMHO.

2006 Pleasure-Way Excel TS V-10

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:09 PM, December 01, 2007

• Depreciation is at least $20,000 on a big DP. 8,000 miles per year, at 8 mpg, is only an extra $1500 compared to a few years ago.

-Bob

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:22 AM, December 02, 2007

• Home and Park also is well into Roadtrek production on the Sprinter chassis. We toured the plant in Kitchener, Ont., over a year ago and about half the units in production were the "tall boys." If we ever decide to give up our Roadtrek 200 Popular, the diesel will make the Sprinter a likely replacement. We currently get 14 mpg from our Chevrolet 3500 engine.

By Anonymous Erie Jimmy, at 6:33 AM, December 02, 2007

• I believe it is follow up on the Rialta. I hope you are aware that the watertank only holds 6 gallon. How 'bout taking a shower?

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:29 AM, December 02, 2007

• Motorhome? Let's call this what it is! A glorified van costing almost 100 g's. Ouch...

We purchased a 36' Class A motorhome that's 10 years old with only 32,000 miles on it in immaculate condition for only $32K. Towing a Saturn, we actually get 10.78mpg with a 454 Chevy engine at 68 mph average.

Let's see...$59K difference in price, twice the mileage. Hmmm...
    Let's figure this out. If I put 5,000 miles a year on my coach at $3.00/gallon, it will cost me $1500.00/year in gas. The Winnie will cost $750.00/year in gas with 1/3 the space for living.

Costing me $750.00/year more (not counting interest rates for loans), it'll take 78 1/2 years to make up the difference!!

Buy a good used coach with plenty of space...you'll be glad you did.

By Anonymous Mark, at 9:14 AM, December 05, 2007