Charging House Batt...

Notifications
Clear all

Question [Solved] Charging House Batteries

mark wilkins
(@mark wilkins)
Topic starter  

Hi Dave

I looked for this on your Repair site but didn't find the answer I need. 

I have a 2016 ACE 29.3 Class A with a Xantrex PRO Inverter.  I noticed After boon docking over night the Engine doesn't charge the house batteries. But if I connect to shore power to charge the house batteries then disconnect from shore power before starting the Engine then the Engine charges the House batteries  ?

How can I resolve this ? It seems like the Isolator is wired wrong ?

Thanks

mark.wilkins-0198

Forum Rules
I agree
Terms and Privacy
I Agree

QuoteUnsolved
(@dave-solberg)

Mark, 

I am a little confused on how you are attempting to charge the house batteries with your comment; "After boon docking over night the Engine doesn't charge the house batteries?"

Your rig has a Battery Isolation Managment (BIM) solenoid that is connected between the house batteries and the engine charging system. When the engine is running, the BIM allows charging from your engine alternator to flow through and help charge the house batteries. When the engine is off, the BIM creates an "open" connection meaning it will not allow the house batteries to drain the engine battery. However, there should be a momentary switch on your dash that does provide a boost from the house batteries to the engine battery if it is dead. 

When you plug into shoreline power, the distribution center receives 120-volt power and has circuit breakers for outlets, roof AC, and other 120-volt components and also provides 120-volt power to the converter which charges the house batteries with 12-volt power. 

You indicated you have a Xantrex Pro, but not what size? This could also have a house battery charging option but is not connected to the engine charging system in any way?

ReplyQuote
 mark wilkins
(@mark wilkins)
Topic starter  

@dave-solberg 

Wow -Hi Dave, Thanks

Yes I have a BIM "Precision Circuits Ins" # BIM 160.  

Normally when driving my alternator is charging my house batteries at 14.1vdc. But after boon docking over night and driving the next day I noticed the house batteries are at 12.6v and not being charged by the alternator?

If I'm plugged into shore power the batteries are charging 13.2 to 13.6vdc via the Xantrex Pro smart charger. Then when I disconnect from shore power and start the engine the house batteries are charging again at 14.1vdc.

Sorry for the confusion. 

ReplyQuote
(@dave-solberg)

Your Xantrex is programed to put out 13.6 volts when the battery gets below 12.6-volts and then drops to a maintenance charge of 13.2-volts as a fully charged battery (12.6-volts) will not accept a charge at or under 13.2-volts so it will not overcharge. Your engine alternator will run at 14.1 - volts but should have a voltage regulator that shuts it down when the engine battery is charged so it won't overcharge?

ReplyQuote

Leave a reply

Author Name

Author Email

Title *

Maximum allowed file size is 10MB

Preview 0 Revisions Saved
Share:

Advertisement