Forum

Advertisement

Notifications
Clear all

Dew claws

Laurie
(@Laurie)
Topic starter  

My baby didn’t have 1 of her dew claws removed when she was a puppy and it now has grown into her skin. I feel horrible I didnt notice it sooner.  I’ve heard it’s very painful for them to have the dew claws removed. Would it be ok to just keep it clipped? 

Pet Type
Dog
Pet Name
Addison

QuoteSolved
(@karel-carnohan)

Hi Laurie,

The thing about dew claws is they tend to snag on things causing injury. That is why we take them off.  Is the dew claw floppy? or is it attached like a normal toe?  If floppy, it is very easy for the vet to take it off with little trauma.  Even if attached, removal is pretty straight forward and with local anesthesia, not very painful. Taking it off is the safest thing to do. Of course, you can keep it clipped and checked regularly but I would have your vet check for any malformations of the claw because it is pretty rare for dogs to get ingrown nails. 

I hope this helps.

ReplyQuote
 Laurie
(@Laurie)
Topic starter  

@karel-carnohan I have her appointment set, I will discuss with the Vet having it removed. Thank you for your insight 🙂

ReplyQuote
 Cherie
(@Cherie)

Laurie, Keep us posted as to how it turns out. Wishing you and Addison the best.

ReplyQuote
 Laurie
(@Laurie)
Topic starter  

I live in a town that gets inundated with thousands of Snowbirds, we don’t have the resources to accommodate. Our doctors and Vets are very hard to get into in the winter. I had to wait till January 17th to get an appointment. In the meantime, I am monitoring it and it doesn’t seem to bother her at all. 

ReplyQuote
 Cherie
(@Cherie)

My dog has dew claws on her front paws. She is 4 years old. I just clip them along with her other nails every 2weeks. She has had no problems. You can totally do that yourself. When I first started with this puppy I gave her a tiny piece of food after each nail clipped.

ReplyQuote

Leave a reply

Author Name

Author Email

Title *

Maximum allowed file size is 10MB

Preview 0 Revisions Saved
Share:

Advertisement