Clear all

Definitely campground overcrowding

8 Posts
1 Users
0 Likes
 Lorelei
(@Lorelei)
Topic starter  
  • Campgrounds were terribly crowded in the Northwest and filled with rude people, which isn't new, but more of it.

I watched spaces empty at dark and still empty in the morning.  Some campgrounds save spaces and say they are full.

There was an overabundance of screaming kids on bicycles, scooters, and skateboards, breaking every rule.  Yelling adults were everywhere, barking dogs, loose dogs. The six foot leash rule was ignored.  The guy next to me was messing with a guitar and caterwauling for hours.  I had to tell a guy to remove his dogs from my space so I could get mine out of the car.  And so on.  

The fact that some are new campers is a  poor excuse for no manners or common sense.

This topic was modified 9 months ago by Lotelei

Mj
(@Mj)

1. We should start having senior campgrounds only or have seniors and half . Unrullies

ReplyQuote
 Marcie Stolberg
(@Marcie Stolberg)

I own knife island campground in esko Minnesota and we seldom have children  come in here when people call and have children we refer them to k.o.a. where theres a pool and game room . This is not to be rude to people  but out of safety concerns for children that might not be watched by their parents  and  could enter the river on the property. People have huge private yards so theres no over crowding. I  have  seen  other campgrounds packed with people all over the place. 

ReplyQuote
 Lorelei
(@Lorelei)
Topic starter  

That is a good idea about referring children elsewhere.  I was at a campground along a river.  Some people seem to bring numerous kids about the same age, from another state, probably some kind of group or club. The adults just turned them loose. Any rule there was, they ignored it.  But what really was scary was one very small child on the river trail with no adults.  Somehow, those people seem to be lucky.  Some of the kids were riding bicycles on the narrow trail, supposedly not allowed, and could have easily fallen into the river.  Then ride their bicycles through my space which I stopped.  Many kids try to get to my dog, and i don't put up with that.  It is a constant hassle watching loose kids and dogs.  Spaces are too close together, and the state and national forest campgrounds are shoving more spaces in between because of the complaining about not enough space.  It's getting way too close and uncomfortable, they may as well stay home because no one is "getting away from it all."

ReplyQuote
 Wayne Yeager
(@Wayne Yeager)

I used to own a class C and traveled to local campgrounds and met several fine people along with some that were not. I enjoyed the differences in locations and exploring the local towns. Several years ago I decided to buy a camper and have used a yearly campsite and not worry about traveling. The thing is I can camp anytime of the year if I want and over the years have met some  great people, and I get along with my neighbors. I know this doesn't address the issue of overcrowding campgrounds but I thought I would present a different perspective.

ReplyQuote
 Laura Ann Higgins
(@Laura Ann Higgins)

You need to know the booking policies and plan ahead , six months to a year depending on that campgrounds policies. Is it a pain ? Yes. But you pre plan  international vacations and flights as much as a year in advance . So wrap your head around this new new reality… the road is not open , it’s crowded. Make your plans, book ahead, then relax and enjoy your travels.

ps consider state forest campgrounds, no cable, no Wi-Fi, just the great outdoors.

ReplyQuote
 Al Scudder
(@Al Scudder)

I just planned my trip back north to the now snowy State of Michigan. I have 7 stops along the way and made reservations all the way back staying 1/3 days depending on availability of the CG.. No problem all is well. I have seen NO CHANGE in availability of spots but have seen a slight raise in cost. I don't look at prices, when I get to 300 miles I stop. No hookup no problem, all I require is power or I just dry camp. You newbies just purchased a RV and spent $100k or more and expect this to be easy. It ain't. You just need more practice

ReplyQuote
 Lorelei
(@Lorelei)
Topic starter  

I use national forest campgrounds, in answer to Laura, quite a bit.  They are overrun also, maybe worse because cheaper.  I don't travel internationally.  I get the drift that some parts of the country are worse than others for being crowded.  To answer someone else, I'm not new to it nor do I have a $100,000 RV.  This time of year, I can still find spaces.  But as of Memorial Day, it is going to be very hard to impossible to find a campground for at least five months on the west coast.  I do not go on weekends, not ever.

ReplyQuote

Leave a reply

Author Name

Author Email

Title *

Maximum allowed file size is 10MB

Preview 0 Revisions Saved
Share:

Advertisement