Forum

Notifications
Clear all

[Solved] medical issues - cancel or not

Andrea
(@Andrea)
Topic starter  

We've been camping for almost 35 years, tents to now a small travel trailer. We've done trips with broken bones. My husband was hit by a car commuting to work on his bicycle two days before a trip - we went anyway, with broken ribs and spinal processes. Turned out we probably should have stayed home, but he managed. In fall of '20, I broke my ankle the first day of a trip, rolling a rock as I took the garbage out at a KOA. We visited an urgent care, I didn't find out for a month that my ankle was broken, not just sprained. We finished the trip, I could be miserable at home or camping. Camping is more interesting. (I once went camping in a popup for a long weekend the day after revision surgery on my ankle, with the doctor's blessing.)
OTOH, we missed a couple of major trips a few years ago, when I developed a major sinus/ear/mastoid infection, including vertigo and 6 weeks on IV antibiotics.
So for us, it just depends on the issue, and the specific trip. Now that we have a small travel trailer, with a bathroom, etc. we can cope with some things - such as my broken ankle - that we could not have while tent or popup camping

QuoteUnsolved
 Cheryl
(@Cheryl)

We were headed to a chapter rally later in the week when I had to have a pacemaker installed. Only missed that rally and was back at it for the next one.

ReplyQuote
 Hakker
(@Hakker)

4 years ago the week before Christmas I had a heart attack.  We were supposed to leave for AZ the week after Christmas.  I called the RV park and told them the situation and they refunded my deposit and told me if I was able to travel later they would try to find me a spot. Turned out I had to have a defib/pacemaker put in and couldn't travel but guess which RV park we're stay at this year and will stay at on any future trips to this area. 

ReplyQuote
 Sue
(@Sue)

In all of our years RVing I don't remember us ever having to delay or cancel a trip PRIOR to going on a trip due to a medical situation, but we cut at least two trips shorter at the END to take care of elective surgeries we needed (new knees). We preferred to use our own doctors/hospitals, and recovery/physical therapy was easier at our stix-n-brix than in our 5th-wheel.

ReplyQuote
 Bill Forbes
(@Bill Forbes)

My wife and I have never canceled a trip because of our own medical issues (there have been some but always able to schedule around them.)  However, we have gone home early because of other family members medical problems.  My mother died while we were on a trip, so we left for her home immediately.  A few days after her funeral, my wife's mother died, and we left our motorhome at the fairgrounds where we were camping to return home for that.  We also terminated a trip early when our grandson had meningitis.

ReplyQuote

Leave a reply

Author Name

Author Email

Title *

Maximum allowed file size is 10MB

Preview 0 Revisions Saved
Share: