Advertisement

Winter camping

Notifications
Clear all

Winter camping

Gail
(@Gail)
Topic starter  

Do you (or have you ever) winter camped? I'd love to hear about it! 

Forum Rules
I agree
Terms and Privacy
I Agree

QuoteSolved
 Boondocker\'s Bible
(@Boondocker\'s Bible)

Yes we have, many times. We are dedicated boondockers, so we've camped in snow in the middle of the woods and the mountains. Keeping warm is not that hard, but managing the condensation is a bigger problem. And making sure your water lines don't freeze up is another biggie. There's also the issue of being able to drive into town and not lose tire traction.

One year we boondocked up in the San Bernardino Mountains by Idyllwild, CA. It was never supposed to snow there, according to the weather outlook. But, a cold front started coming in. The water lines on my trailer were exposed. The forecast was calling temperatures in the teens. So, I needed to get them insulated quickly. I spent a day getting all the supplies from Home Depot, and then wrapped them up.

We got a couple inches of snow the next night. It wasn't that bad. The water lines still froze despite wrapping them in fiberglass insulation and foam rubber tape. But, they thawed out, and because they're made of Pex, they didn't burst.

Our propane dropped pressure, but I don't think it because of the temperature itself, but because we running all of our propane appliances at the same time (furnace, refrigerator, water heater, cooktop). So, I ended up replacing the cheap Chinese propane regulator that my trailer came with one made in the USA. It can actually maintain pressure despite using every appliance at the same time.

Condensation was a big problem. We have aluminum floors, no wood underneath. So, that floor got very cold. As a result, all the moisture in the air condensed on it, and created puddles. The throw rugs we had bought got soaked. We had to wear our shoes inside the trailer at all times, and the rugs started smelling. So, we replaced them all with rugs with rubber backing, and now the condensation does not soak through.

The bottom line is that boondocking in freezing weather is doable, but it will really test your RVing skills. You have to make sure everything is working.

20190206 104621

ReplyQuote
 Gail
(@Gail)
Topic starter  

Thanks for sharing! What an adventure (and memories!)

ReplyQuote

Leave a reply

Author Name

Author Email

Title *

Maximum allowed file size is 10MB

Preview 0 Revisions Saved
Share:

Advertisement