Advertisement

Our year 2018 Lance...

Notifications
Clear all

Travel Trailer Our year 2018 Lance Model 1985 TT

Jan Fields
(@Jan Fields)
Topic starter  

Watched the video on the 2022 Lance model 1985 TT.  Really liked all of the improvements they have done since our 1985.  But we would never upgrade to the 2022 because of that; our trailer is just too sweet.  Really well built and we’ve had almost no issues with it.  The overhead cabinet hinges shook loose a couple of times, so it’s good to see they have improved on that.  The MSRP of the 2022 is about $10,000 more than what we paid new, so no need to upgrade!  We shopped really, really throughly before buying the Lance and other TT’s really seemed so cheap in comparison.  You do get what you pay for.  We installed the Soft Start on the air conditioner and wired in ports for portable solar panels ourselves.  We’ve heard it said that it is the perfect couples trailer and so far that has borne out true.  We don’t feel like we are missing anything.  We travel with two Samoyed dogs and they love it too.  The only complaint is that the female Samoyed will not sleep on the floor and insists on sharing the bed with us, so it can get kinda crowded on the queen size bed.  But I don’t think Lance is to blame for that.  I can’t get too mad at the dog because the bed is really comfy.  

QuoteSolved
 Lew Anderson
(@Lew Anderson)

I have a 2018 Lance 2295 - it's an EXPANDED 1985.  I agree with Jan Fields - for me it's the perfect trailer. I have made many modifications to the trailer to suit my needs and desires, but it works for me with the full-width bathroom at the rear of the trailer.  Three noticeable recommendations: 1. Why does Lance install only ONE towel rack in the bathroom?  Most of their customers are couples!  It makes NO SENSE to have only one towel rack! 2. Simply add a 2" memory foam mattress topper to the mattress if the foldable mattress is an issue.  You can't feel the bend point with the topper.  3. When will Lance ever get rid of the cheesy plastic backsplash and install something more durable that will not wrinkle if it gets too much heat from the stove?

I am very disappointed that they discontinued the 2295!  It is a great trailer with the added length and the partition with the TV and the electric fireplace.  They say it was not a popular model, but I suspect there were other reasons beyond that.  My trailer was ordered WITHOUT the front window and I love the privacy and darkness in the summer mornings when I want to sleep in past 6am.  My only improvements would be to engineer a fresh water fill spout on the street side of the trailer AND design a recliner option for these trailers.  It is still the best trailer I have found for my traveling experience and could easily be a full-time trailer!

ReplyQuote
(@tony)

I have been surprised by how much more RVs in general, and travel trailers specifically, have gone up in price in the past year or so. The number you wrote, about $10,000, is about typical of what I see. Wow. 

Lance have been really good products for a while and, watching how they make things, it's easy to see why your experience is probably more typical. 

No reason to upgrade indeed and glad you're enjoying your Lance. Or, should I write, you're Living the Lance Life. 

Find my daily RV reviews
You can also hear my weekly RV podcast

ReplyQuote
 Jan Fields
(@Jan Fields)
Topic starter  

Yes, agree about the “only one towel rack” in the bathroom.  I solved that by putting a friction lock rod in the shower stall, between the wall and the medicine cabinet.  It works fine.  Then I can always drape a towel over the top of the shower curtain frame for one more towel.

ReplyQuote
 Jan Fields
(@Jan Fields)
Topic starter  

@tony Our Lance TT is our first recreational vehicle.  Many, many years of tent camping and sleeping in back of the truck.  The TT is pure luxury for us.  And it seems to be the most economical way (other than the purchase price) to get out of the tent!  We love to disconnect from the truck and take off during the day, exploring.  We bought a Brahma wheel lock to secure it more when we are gone.  Check it out; it is a formable wheel lock, built in British Columbia and shipped out of Washington State for U.S. customers.  Much, much better than other wheel locks.  We even keep it on when it is parked at home.  

ReplyQuote
 Jan Fields
(@Jan Fields)
Topic starter  

Agree about the recliner option!  My hubby misses his from home.  We’re working on figuring out how to build one to sit on the sofa.

ReplyQuote
 Debbi Gindele
(@Debbi Gindele)

Does the Lance have heat and A/C?

Can you pull it with a 4 cylinder Jeep Cherokee?  Or is it a truck?

Thanks

ReplyQuote
 Jan Fields
(@Jan Fields)
Topic starter  

Lance has both heat and air conditioning.  We put the Soft Start on the air conditioner, which was a good thing to do.  We have a 2500 Denali Sierra GMC diesel truck, which is way more than it needs to be pulled.  But we first got the truck, then the TT, so we didn’t have to figure out too closely about the tow vehicle.  But we still need to make sure we don’t take too much stuff; it has a lot of storage options, so it is easy to do.

ReplyQuote
(@tony)

The four cylinder Jeep is not going to pull this - that is not, by any means, a vehicle I would use to tow anything, frankly. 

Here's a towing guide from an expert on the subject. Remember it's not so much what you can pull, it's what you can stop. 

Find my daily RV reviews
You can also hear my weekly RV podcast

ReplyQuote
 Linda Atwater
(@Linda Atwater)

We owned this trailer  and had an opportunity to visit the Lance plant in Lancaster before the merger.  Very well made.  

We did pull it with a 2019 Grand Cherokee. Did fine.  I believe it was a 6.

The cons was not being able to get in the bathroom with the slide in. Not being able to sit up in bed with the curved window and the bed was not comfortable for us. 

ReplyQuote

Advertisement

Gary Fillion
(@Gary Fillion)

You mentioned build quality but didn't specify. All the wood interior is solid, not pressboard and fastened with Kreg style screws, not staples. The walls are Azek. We elected to go with the 1995 model because you can access both the bathroom and fridge with the slide in making pit stops much more comfortable! Storage is also much better. We did give up the larger shower which we have modified by using a pool noodle to extend the curtain. Our hope is that Lance will move the slide 6 inches North to allow the same shower pan as the 1985 and will therefore have the best floorplan in a 20' trailer. This year's modifications truly elevate these models to another level. They now have ducted A/C, European style cabinetry, Lexan dual pane windows, Lithium batteries, increased solar options and a rear hitch for bicycle racks!

ReplyQuote

Leave a reply

Author Name

Author Email

Title *

Maximum allowed file size is 10MB

Preview 0 Revisions Saved
Share:

Advertisement