Question Tire inflation question

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
 Dave Pellegrino
(@Dave Pellegrino)
Topic starter  

Hello,

On my 2018 Ram 3500 dually, the sticker indicates I should have my tires inflated to 80psi for the front and 65psi for the rear tires. I maintain those pressures. I take tire depth readings every month on each tire from outer to inner tread. I have noticed that the inner tread is wearing faster than the outer tread. By inner tread I'm referring to the center of the tire. This is indicating to me that the tries are over inflated. My question is, the sticker indicates the psi for each tire, but is that pressure for a loaded vs unloaded truck ie RV hooked up? Does it matter? What would your recommendations be about the tire wear? Thank you.

(@roger)

Doesn't your Owners Manual have a Loaded vs Empty or Light Load inflation chart?  The 80/65 might be a bit high for unloaded travel. You might try the "Chalk Test" on a flat, level parking lot.

ReplyQuote
 Dave Pellegrino
(@Dave Pellegrino)
Topic starter  

@roger Not that I have found! I had never heard of the chalk test til now, so I looked it up and will be giving it a try.

ReplyQuote
 Anonymous
(@Anonymous)

@roger Staight from the manual

"Inflation Pressure:
This is the cold tire inflation pressure for your vehicle for
all loading conditions up to full GAWR."

So the truck mfgr is basically saying at all loads up to GAWR, the tire pressure is the same. DO you agree with what they are saying in the quoted statement? What's a person to do? So much dis/mis information out there. That's why I'm asking you.

ReplyQuote

Leave a reply

Author Name

Author Email

Title *

Maximum allowed file size is 10MB

Preview 0 Revisions Saved
Share:

Advertisement