Advertisement

Tire "Thumping"

Notifications
Clear all

Tire "Thumping"

Phil Atterbery
(@Phil Atterbery)
Topic starter  

I almost always buy my diesel fuel at a truck stop. I have seen long haul operators use a small baseball bat shaped tool to hit (thump) each tire as they walk around thier rig. I'm guessing they are listening for a tire that's low on air pressure. I've only got 10 tires to look after but it may save me some time at a fuel stop. Are you a fan of this practice?

Forum Rules
I agree
Terms and Privacy
I Agree

QuoteSolved
Topic Tags
 Roger Marble
(@Roger Marble)

Short answer is NO I am not in favor of "Thumping" but I do understand the situation. Truckers can not run TPMS as they are frequently changing trailers so they would be spending a lot of time swapping and programming a TPMS. Also, Thumping has been shown in tests to be no more accurate than +/- 25 psi so in reality what they are doing is checking if they have a "Flat tire". I MUCH PREFER a properly programed TPMS for RV owners. More accurate and you get constant monitoring so you would get a warning if you had a puncture as you left the fuel stop while the truck driver would never get till his tire blew out.

ReplyQuote
 Steve
(@Steve)

Any recommendations on TPMS for RV travel trailers?

ReplyQuote
(@roger)

I have been testing a TST internal TPMS and an external TireTraker system for a couple of years. I have posted the results of both my pressure accuracy and temperature accuracy of these two systems on my Class C motorhome. You can read the results HERE and follow the links to earlier test data. I am very happy with both and can recommend either depending on your feelings about internal vs external.  The internal batteries are holding up after 33 months with all 6 sensors still registering. The external sensor batteries seem to last about one year to 18 months but are only a couple of bucks each to replace. I do suggest you use the "repeater" with whatever system you get.

ReplyQuote
 Tom
(@Tom)

You can also tell a “rookie” truck driver. They will be the ones that thump the steering tires. You will know that it’s flat by simply looking at it, or driving on it. As stated, you thump your duals to ensure that you don’t have a flat. Actual correct pressures are left to the “tire guy” back at the shop.

ReplyQuote

Leave a reply

Author Name

Author Email

Title *

Maximum allowed file size is 10MB

Preview 0 Revisions Saved
Share:

Advertisement