Advertisement

Turning front tires...

Notifications
Clear all

Question Turning front tires on MH while sitting still

Joe Symmes
(@Joe Symmes)
Topic starter  

Does turning the front tires while sitting still cause excessive tire wear?  Some drivers always turn their tires while sitting still before they move forward or backward.  I would think that it is always better to start rolling before making major changes to the steering position.

Our coach has 365 X 22.5 tires and the front end is heavy.

QuoteSolved
 Roger Marble
(@Roger Marble)

I do not ever remember seeing and I can think of no advantage to turning the front tires sideways while stationary. The only exception would be if parking on a steep hill when you would want the vehicle to move toward the curb if the parking brake fails.

Turning tires while stationary would introduce internal shear forces on the tire structure which in the extreme could result in abnormal wear or even initiate belt separation. It would also result in a small but not zero tread wear.

ReplyQuote
 FourJo
(@FourJo)

this is logical, but I think that the wear is not significant

ReplyQuote
 Joe Symmes
(@Joe Symmes)
Topic starter  

"Turning tires while stationary would introduce internal shear forces on the tire structure which in the extreme could result in abnormal wear or even initiate belt separation. It would also result in a small but not zero tread wear."

Tread wear is not my concern.  Pushing down on a tire with 9,000+ pounds per tire and then turning the tire while sitting still for several years, plus several thousand pothole events could lead to front tire blow outs.

ReplyQuote
 Steve Snure
(@Steve Snure)

I have a 45' Class-A motorhome and occasionally turn the wheel while stationary as a final step when parking the coach.  I do this to ensure the wheels are straight before leveling to avoid having the coach's body come into contact with the tires as the air is expelled from the airbags and the coach lowers.  Failing to do this could cause significant damage to the coach's body in the wheel well area.

ReplyQuote
 Roger Marble
(@Roger Marble)

OK. That's another reason to not turn the front tires when stationary.

ReplyQuote
 Steve Snure
(@Steve Snure)

Hello Roger.  I'm a bit confused by your reply.  Can you elaborate?  Thanks.

...Steve

ReplyQuote
 Roger Marble
(@Roger Marble)

did u read the topic starter from Joe?

ReplyQuote
 Steve Snure
(@Steve Snure)

Yes, I read the topic starter from Joe.  Given his referenced tire size, he also has a Class-A or bus conversion.  While not ideal, I was providing a scenario with what I think is the only reason to turn the wheels when parked.  If the last parking adjustment I make requires me to turn the wheels so that the tires extend beyond the edge of the wheel-well, I have to straighten them out so when the coach lowers when leveling, the body doesn't come down on top of the tires.  So when you replied, "That's another reason to not turn the front tires when stationary", my follow-up question was asking you to further explain your answer.  You asking if I read the topic starter did not answer my question.

ReplyQuote

Leave a reply

Author Name

Author Email

Title *

Maximum allowed file size is 10MB

Preview 0 Revisions Saved
Share:

Advertisement