Forum

Advertisement

Can Multiple Invert...

Notifications
Clear all

Question Can Multiple Inverters Work Together?

Phillip Snartland
(@Phillip Snartland)
Topic starter  

Thanks for sharing your expertise, Mike.  It's invaluable to us all!

My question is whether multiple inverters (DC to AC converters) can be wired in parallel to increase the capacity of the 120V outlets in a camper?  We are purchasing a travel trailer that comes with a 1000W inverter.  We are buying a solar kit that includes a 1200W inverter.  Can I wire the 1200W inverter into the circuit in parallel with the existing 1000W inverter to give us a total of 2200W (18.3A) capacity?  Will they share the load nicely?

Seems like it might be too good an idea to actually work...

Thanks,

Phill

Forum Rules
I agree
Terms and Privacy
I Agree

QuoteSolved
 Mike Sokol
(@Mike Sokol)

Sorry, but I’m pretty sure you can’t parallel mismatched inverters like that. I believe some of the Victron Inverters will work together in parallel, but those are high-end (read expensive) units specifically designed for parallel operation. If you try it you’ll likely damage one or both of your inverters.  

ReplyQuote
 Phillip Snartland
(@Phillip Snartland)
Topic starter  

I kind of thought that would be the case.  Thanks Mike, for your help.

Phill

ReplyQuote
 Steve Hericks
(@Steve Hericks)

Phil,

As Mike stated, you cannot join the output of inverters. It would be like 2 men rowing the same boat with blindfolds on. You can still use both of inveters on separate branch lines.  Your AC distribution panel only has one in-feed line so you would have to mount a separate breaker panel near your main panel and extend the branch lines you want on your second inverter into that panel. It may seem hard but its not.  The big issue will be if your needs can make use of two separate supplies.  

ReplyQuote
 Phillip Snartland
(@Phillip Snartland)
Topic starter  

Thank you for your input, Steve.  I had also thought about breaking some of the outlets off to be supplied by the new inverter.  I'll have to see how the camper electrical circuits are arranged once it arrives in the Spring.

Thanks!

ReplyQuote

Leave a reply

Author Name

Author Email

Title *

Maximum allowed file size is 10MB

Preview 0 Revisions Saved
Share:

Advertisement