Clear all

Lithium battery charging

12 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
 Joe
(@Joe)
Topic starter  

Hey Mike, what do you think would be the best way to charge my Lithium batteries in my RV while on the road? I think I may need to install a specific converter to charge them while driving as from what I understand my current one is not optimal for Lithium batteries. Let me know what you think. Thanks

Topic Tags
 Mike Sokol
(@Mike Sokol)
Eminent Member

What kind of RV do you have? If it a Class A or C motorhome with the engine in the RV, or is it a tow-behind or 5th wheel with a separate tow vehicle?

ReplyQuote
 Joe
(@Joe)
Topic starter  

Hi Mike, I have a tow behind TT that I'm towing with a GMC 2500HD. It had a towing package that includes two batteries along with an HD alternator.

ReplyQuote
 Mike Sokol
(@Mike Sokol)
Eminent Member

According to CarGenerator, your vehicle alternator should be able to power a 2,000-watt inverter. Read more at CarGenerator.com

ReplyQuote
 Joe
(@Joe)
Topic starter  

Thanks Mike but the real question is what is the best way to charge my Lithium battery while I'm driving? Do I need a specific Lithium inverter? Right now I use a

Victron Energy Blue Smart IP65 12-Volt 10 amp Battery Charger

After I get to where I'm going and can plug in. This works okay as long as I can plug in but sometimes I don't have that option. 

This post was modified 1 year ago by Mike Sokol

ReplyQuote
(@mike)
Estimable Member

You’ll want something like a RedArc BCDC 1225D DC to DC charger that will boost your alternator voltage to full charge your Lithium battery while limiting the charging current to protect the alternator. You’ll also need to run a heavy wire and Anderson connector between your truck and trailer to handle the charging current. Note that even a 25-amp charger will fully recharge a 100 amp-hr battery in about 4 hours of driving. 

ReplyQuote
 Joe
(@Joe)
Topic starter  

Thanks, I'll look into it. I must say it can get a bit expensive to go the Lithium route. If I had to do it over again I'm not sure if I would. This may be a good subject for an article. I'm sure a lot of people would be interested in the overall cost vs benefits on switching over to Lithium. It's not as simple as it seems.

ReplyQuote
(@mike)
Estimable Member

Yes, it's not as cheap as one and done... There's a lot of other systems to be considered when upgrading to Lithium batteries. 

ReplyQuote
 Scott
(@Scott)

Mike, would not having the direct charge from tow vehicle to trailer for lithium batteries(2) be a major problem? I was thinking of placing a breaker in the line to "disconnect" the charging so as to not install a DC to Dc unit in the tow vehicle. I will be able to use the solar / portable generator to top those batteries off. Is this something you has seen previously?

ReplyQuote
(@mike)
Estimable Member

The problem with your plan is that the Lithium battery will try to draw excessive current that your alternator probably can’t supply. The circuit breaker can’t reduce the current, it can only trip on overload. So I’ll bet it will be tripping most of the time. 

ReplyQuote

Advertisement

Irv
(@Irv)

@mike   Anderson connector --This typo will confuse those who aren't familiar with them.  Your post  of

11/28 @ 6:33 pm

ReplyQuote
(@mike)
Estimable Member

Thanks…. One of my pro-sound colleagues is Craig Anderton, so my auto correct tends to swap in a T instead of an S… 🤣🤣🤣

ReplyQuote

Leave a reply

Author Name

Author Email

Title *

Maximum allowed file size is 10MB

Preview 0 Revisions Saved
Share:

Advertisement