Question Running AC System from Solar Generator

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
 Dave Green
(@Dave Green)
Topic starter  

Hi Mike,
If I'm dry camping, would it be OK to plug the solar generator inverter AC output into an AC socket in the MH (plug-to-plug cord)? That way I would make AC available to all of my sockets. Would this damage my transfer switch or converter because I'd be driving them from the backside?

Thanks,
Dave Green

(@mike)

What you’re suggesting is something often referred to as a suicide cord. First of all  that’s a big code and safety violation since the exposed contacts of the male connector you plug into your RV receptacle would be energized if the Solar Generator was powered on. But more importantly, backfeeding 120-volts AC into the output of your inverter May damage it. My SWAG is a 50/50% chance of killing the output transistors in the inverter. Don’t do it. 
I’m doing a test right now plugging the shore power cord directly into the AC output of a Jackery 1500, and it works perfectly. Watch for a video soon. 

ReplyQuote
 Dave Green
(@Dave Green)
Topic starter  

@mike I realize I could connect something like a Jackery to the shore power line, but that's outside the MH. I wanted a way to use the Jackery inside.  If I wired a line from the input side of the transfer switch (or wherever the shore power line comes into the MH) to a socket, I'd still have the suicide cord issue.

ReplyQuote
 Mike Sokol
(@Mike Sokol)
Eminent Member

You could wire a standard female 5-20 receptacle to power the Jackery charger, but you should put a 20-amp breaker in the circuit to protect the wiring. 

ReplyQuote

Leave a reply

Author Name

Author Email

Title *

Maximum allowed file size is 10MB

Preview 0 Revisions Saved
Share:

Advertisement