Free and inexpensive places to stay with your RV in the U.S. and Canada!
When it comes to free places to stay a night in an RV, Walmart is the best bet. We estimate that about 80 percent of all its stores in the USA allow stays in self-contained RVs.
Other businesses that allow free overnight stays include Flying J Travel Centers, Cabela’s, Cracker Barrel restaurants (official policy is overnight stays are NOT permitted although most stores allow the practice), Costco and Kmart. Many RVers routinely stay in shopping center or factory outlet parking lots. Many casinos allow or even encourage overnight stays in RVs.
Recent reports of free and inexpensive places to stay with an RV:
Oblong City Park, Oblong, IL
ALMOST FREE! Overnight parking is allowed. City Park has 26 20/30A E/W RV sites; 10 pull-thrus and 16 back-ins, all big-rig friendly. Please note the water is shut off Nov. 1 – Apr. 14. Dump station is free to all. Picnic areas, 3 large shelters, 6-acre lake with fishing, paved and well-lit, walking/jogging path around the lake, playgrounds, basketball court, horseshoe courts, and sand volleyball court all within the park. Showerhouse open Apr. 1 – Oct. 31. Campground open all year. No reservations. Self-register and self-pay at drop slot at restrooms. No maximum stay. $10/night. Click here for details.
Jolon Road Gravel Turnout, King City, CA
FREE! Overnight parking is allowed. Two large gravel areas have room for rigs to turn around without backing up. Park so as not to obstruct movement by any other vehicles. Not level; the farther you go toward the top of the hill the more level it gets; slope at top is manageable. The lot is unlit, appears safe, but there are no amenities. Possible occasional noise from trucks dropping trailers here. Click here for details.
Overnight RV Parking, with more than 14,000 locations listed, is the largest and best resource for locating free and inexpensive places to spend a night in an RV. For membership information and a demo of the site, click here. A modest membership fee required, but try the free demo. Watch a video about OvernightRVparking.com.
From our Facebook group, Free Campgrounds:
“We stop overnight at Flying J’s. Most have dedicated RV sites. Get there by 5 pm. Especially during peak travel season. They fill up fast. Many have restaurants. We’ve found the food good. Others have fast-food restaurants. Be sure and patronize them. If one looks really busy or there is not another one for a long distance, try to go on. The truckers need those spots for rest. It is their livelihood.” — Normalea Lutterloh
Please join our Facebook group and share your favorite free camping spots or submit free or inexpensive campground information to us here. Thanks!
See last week’s free (or almost free) locations here.
• Walmart Directory: Best printed directory of Walmart locations
• Guide to Free Campgrounds: Best-selling directory, year after year.
• Overnight RV Parking: More than 14,000 location listings. Inexpensive membership required.
• Harvest Hosts: Members can stay free overnight at farms & wineries.
• Walmarts that do not allow overnight RV stays.
• Video: Where to camp for free in an RV.
• Video: How to camp in an RV at Walmart for free.
• Video: Best source of free and inexpensive RV camping.
• Video: Which “Big Box” stores allow free RV camping?
• Video: RV camping for less than $1 a day. Stay months.
• Video: Okay to stay overnight at truck stops?
• Video: Camping at Elk Lodges. An amazing bargain.
Walmart Free RV Parking
• Walmart’s official policy about overnight stays in RVs.
• The ABCs of “camping” at Walmart.
• Guidelines for overnighting in an RV at Walmart.
• RV park owners say “Walmart campers are cheapskates.”
• The appeal of boondocking in the desert.
• Articles and information from RVtravel.com about boondocking.
• Six safety tips for overnight RV stays at casinos.
• Free camping at wildlife refuges.
• Why overnight RV parking at truck stops is a bad idea
• Try winter boondocking at LTVAs in AZ and CA deserts.