Free and inexpensive places to stay with your RV in the U.S. and Canada!
When it comes to free places to stay a night in an RV, Walmart is the best bet. We estimate that about 65 percent of all its stores in the USA allow stays in self-contained RVs.
Other businesses that allow free overnight stays include Flying J Travel Centers, Cabela’s, Cracker Barrel restaurants (official policy is overnight stays are NOT permitted although most stores allow the practice), Costco and Kmart. Many RVers routinely stay in shopping center or factory outlet parking lots. Many casinos allow or even encourage overnight stays in RVs.
Recent reports of free and inexpensive places to stay with an RV:
Walmart Supercentre, Regina, SK, Canada
FREE! Overnight parking is allowed ONLY with store permission. Obtain permission from customer service desk. Park along the east edge of the lot, away from the store and without obstructing traffic lanes. Level, well-lit, quiet, and appears safe. Store offers free Wi-Fi. McDonald’s (also with free Wi-Fi) and Tim Hortons in store; Quiznos, Subway, Dairy Queen in same shopping center. Walmart has walk-in medical clinic. Click here for details.
Burger King, Londonderry, NH
FREE! Overnight parking is allowed for one night only. Permission from the manager on duty is required. Park in marked long-vehicle spaces parallel to the south edge of the lot. Follow their driving directions through lot; otherwise, you may have no way to turn around to exit. This also means that streetside slides may not be used. This curb crests a small hill; the most level spots are at the top. Appears safe. If you park overnight there, please purchase your evening meal and/or breakfast there. Click here for details.
Overnight RV Parking, with more than 14,000 locations listed, is the largest and best resource for locating free and inexpensive places to spend a night in an RV. For membership information and a demo of the site, click here. A modest membership fee required, but try the free demo. Watch a video about OvernightRVparking.com.
Please join our Facebook group, Free Campgrounds, and share your favorite free camping spots or submit free or inexpensive campground information to us here. Thanks!
In response to a question about free camping spots near Cheyenne, WY, Facebook user Mac Jones wrote: “Approximately 20 miles up Happy Jack road west of Cheyenne there’s an area called Vedauwoo Recreation area. National Forest. Plenty of boondocking sites.”
See last week’s free (or almost free) locations here.
• Walmart Directory: Best printed directory of Walmart locations
• Guide to Free Campgrounds: Best-selling directory, year after year.
• Overnight RV Parking: More than 14,000 location listings. Inexpensive membership required.
• Harvest Hosts: Members can stay free overnight at farms & wineries.
AFFILIATE OFFER: Save 10% on campground fees when you join the Good Sam Club!
• Video: Where to camp for free in an RV.
• Video: How to camp in an RV at Walmart for free.
• Video: Best source of free and inexpensive RV camping.
• Video: Which “Big Box” stores allow free RV camping?
• Video: RV camping for less than $1 a day. Stay months.
• Video: Okay to stay overnight at truck stops?
• Video: Camping at Elk Lodges. An amazing bargain.
Walmart Free RV Parking
• Walmart’s official policy about overnight stays in RVs.
• The ABCs of “camping” at Walmart.
• RV park owners say “Walmart campers are cheapskates.”
• The appeal of boondocking in the desert.
• Articles and information from RVtravel.com about boondocking.
• Six safety tips for overnight RV stays at casinos.
• Free camping at wildlife refuges.
• Why overnight RV parking at truck stops is a bad idea.
• Try winter boondocking at LTVAs in AZ and CA deserts.