Free and inexpensive places to stay with your RV in the U.S. and Canada!
When it comes to free places to stay a night in an RV, Walmart is the best bet. We estimate that about 65 percent of all its stores in the USA allow stays in self-contained RVs.
Other businesses that allow free overnight stays include Flying J Travel Centers, Cabela’s, Cracker Barrel restaurants (official policy is overnight stays are NOT permitted although most stores allow the practice), Costco and Kmart. Many RVers routinely stay in shopping center or factory outlet parking lots. Many casinos allow or even encourage overnight stays in RVs.
Recent reports of free and inexpensive places to stay with an RV:
Wayne Russell RV Park (City Park), Floydada, TX
ALMOST FREE! Overnight parking is allowed. City park has 8 level, gravel pull-thru 30/50A E/W/S sites and a dump station. It is well-lit with no apparent security concerns. Some traffic noise during day, but very quiet at night. Sporadic Wi-Fi signal at the park, but there is Wi-Fi at the local library. Max. Stay: 5 days. 2020 rate: First two days free; days 3-5, $10/night. Click here for details.
T-Bone Truck Stop, Columbus, NE
FREE! Overnight parking is allowed. The manager welcomes RVs to park overnight and says permission is not required. Park in the large gravel lot in the back with trucks. Lot is large enough to park away from trucks, and is level and appears safe. It is not brightly lit. One RVer reports a quiet night with not many trucks. Restaurant and convenience store on site. Click here for details.
Overnight RV Parking, with more than 14,000 locations listed, is the largest and best resource for locating free and inexpensive places to spend a night in an RV. For membership information and a demo of the site, click here. A modest membership fee required, but try the free demo. Watch a video about OvernightRVparking.com.
Please join our Facebook group, Free Campgrounds, and share your favorite free camping spots or submit free or inexpensive campground information to us here. Thanks!
Headed to Wall Drug soon? Facebook user Jan Arthur wrote: “Just 8 miles west of Wall Drug is the town of Wasta, SD. There is a very small RV park behind the gas station and museum there with 50 amp for only $5 a nite last two times we were there 2-3 years ago. Great deal when it’s too hot to boondock!”
See last week’s free (or almost free) locations here.
• Walmart Directory: Best printed directory of Walmart locations
• Guide to Free Campgrounds: Best-selling directory, year after year.
• Overnight RV Parking: More than 14,000 location listings. Inexpensive membership required.
• Harvest Hosts: Members can stay free overnight at farms & wineries.
AFFILIATE OFFER: Save 10% on campground fees when you join the Good Sam Club!
• Video: Where to camp for free in an RV.
• Video: How to camp in an RV at Walmart for free.
• Video: Best source of free and inexpensive RV camping.
• Video: Which “Big Box” stores allow free RV camping?
• Video: RV camping for less than $1 a day. Stay months.
• Video: Okay to stay overnight at truck stops?
• Video: Camping at Elk Lodges. An amazing bargain.
Walmart Free RV Parking
• Walmart’s official policy about overnight stays in RVs.
• The ABCs of “camping” at Walmart.
• RV park owners say “Walmart campers are cheapskates.”
• The appeal of boondocking in the desert.
• Articles and information from RVtravel.com about boondocking.
• Six safety tips for overnight RV stays at casinos.
• Free camping at wildlife refuges.
• Why overnight RV parking at truck stops is a bad idea.
• Try winter boondocking at LTVAs in AZ and CA deserts.