It was 2 a.m., when an RV travel reader named Dave was making his nightly trip to his RV’s bathroom. Suddenly, he said, “the skies lit up and then there was a very large boom from three rows over in our RV park.”
The owner of the motorhome, Dave wrote, had reportedly tried to light a leaky propane heater, which led to the devastating explosion.
Dave reported that a retired pastor received burns over 85 percent of his body, and had been given a five percent chance to survive. His wife and their two dogs were shaken, but okay. The incident occurred at the Riverfront RV Park in Yuma, Arizona.
UPDATE: The pastor died from his injuries.
Editor’s note: Although we have no idea whether this family had a working propane detector on board, this serves as a reminder to always have one to be safe (and to be sure its batteries are good).