RV’s power outlets are melting. Help!


Dear Mike,
I noticed the outlet for our microwave in the motorhome had started to melt. Upon removal of the outlet I saw that the wires connections were not screws but pressed into a pronged connection. I replaced the outlet with a standard screw-type outlet. I checked other outlets and discovered the one to the washing machine also was burned and melted due to these press-on connections being loose and heating up. I don’t know if the RV industry still uses these but would advise people to check all their outlets, especially high-amperage appliances. —Ray

Dear Ray,
That’s a great point, and something that should really be checked by every RV owner. There are basically two different ways to secure the wires on the back of an electrical outlet. The traditional Side-Wire method uses screws on the side of the outlets, and you make a half-loop of the bare wire which is then captured under the screw. This was the gold standard receptacle and what I use in most of my power connections.

A second, newer method still uses machine screws, but instead of wrapping a loop of the wire around the screw itself, a length of stripped/straight wire is put into a hole, and a side-mounted screw clamps down on it. This Screw & Clamp Back Wire outlet is possibly more robust than the original Side-Wire loop method described above since any tugging on the wires can cause the screws to loosen.

What you’ve described, and I worry about a lot, is a new assembly method called a QuickWire or BackWire outlet. This is really quick to install since you just have to strip off the appropriate amount of insulation and “stab” the straight wire in the hole. There are little spring fingers which dig in and hold the wires more or less in place. But without an actual machine screw to provide compression of this connection, any sustained amperage from a high-wattage appliance can cause this spring-grip system to overheat, which leads to a higher resistance contact with even more heating, and the possibility of a melted plug or even a fire inside of the wall.

It’s pretty simple to tell what kind of outlet you have in your RV. After shutting off all power, you can remove the outlet cover with the center screw, then remove the two screws on the top and bottom of the bracket. You should then be able to pull out the outlet a few inches to see how the wire is fastened. If it’s simply stabbed in the back of the outlet without any side screws holding it in place, then you should replace the outlet with a best-quality outlet that has side-screws for the connection. And while you’re at it, it’s a good idea to replace ALL of the QuickWire outlets with screw-type outlets. You never know when you’re going to plug in a hair dryer or portable space heater, and both of those are really heavy loads.

And this is not the place to go cheap. Buy only the best-grade commercial outlets that keep your electrical connections cool and deliver all the voltage to the load. And if you’ve overheated a power cord that was plugged into an overheated outlet, you’ll want to clean the oxidized contacts with super-fine sandpaper, or replace the entire cord and plug if there’s any sign of melting. I like the Leviton 5252 series which are available HERE and in many big box stores.

Oh, if any of you want to geek-out, you can download the spec sheet on the Leviton 5252 outlet (actually called a Duplex Receptacle by the electrical industry) HERE.



I don’t know how I missed this, but several of you said I had the wrong type of outlet that was melting. So I did some research and you are indeed correct. There is a class of wall outlets that use non-stripped wire to make connection via a set of sharp blades. This seems like the worst possible idea for any outlet that needs to carry significant continuous amperage for a microwave or space heater.

I’m going to get a few of these and run some load tests to see how they perform. Of course these are quicker to install in shallow walls, but safety should be our main concern.

Let’s play safe out there….


Mike Sokol is an electrical and professional sound expert with 40 years in the industry. Visit NoShockZone.org for more electrical safety tips. His excellent book RV Electrical Safety is available at Amazon.com. For more info on Mike’s qualifications as an electrical expert, click here.



Leave a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

newest oldest most voted
Notify of
Ray Cordero

Just replaced one of my outlets due to the same issue. I will replace each as I work around the RV over the next few days.

Bill Morgan

Most Back Wire receptacles have the option to either stab or use the side screws. I always use the screws. Another problem is when multiple receptacles are daisy-chained by connecting the second set of wires to the back or to the side screws, This causes all the power used by the outlets downstream to flow through the receptacle, possibly making it overheat. Make sure that the wires in the box are pigtailed, with short wires connecting to the receptacle and the power-in and power-out wires connected to the pigtails by wire nuts. There is a simple illustration on this page: https://www.handymanhowto.com/how-to-replace-a-worn-out-electrical-outlet-part-3/

Joe bulger

Also consider that if replacing a high use receptacle from quick connect to side or compression connection is an improvement the other receptacles that are in parallel are also carrying the same current with quick connect Connections. If you up grade 1 receptacle do them all.


The advantage of the RV/mobile home approved receptacle is that they do not require a box. That makes them fast and cheap.

Replacing with a residential or commercial receptacle is a great upgrade but requires the installation of a box to be safe and to meet building code.


Mike, I couldn’t agree with you more.
I worked in a electronic research & development lab for 40 years which included failure analysis on high reliability products. This experience has given me a knowledge and a feel for what is required for a reliable/safe product. Several months ago I upgraded from a camper to a TT and decided to replace a receptical with one that had a USB charger. I was concerned the moment I removed the back and saw the connections style (sharp blade type). I feel these recepticals are not safe and prone to failure. I have since replaced all of them in my trailer. Also, be aware that they use these to also connect to branch circuits. I had one receptical with 3 sets of wires ( 1 set fell off when I removed the back) that fed 4 other plugs. This included one that powered my electric heater and another that powered a hair dryer. For safety concerns I will not be using them in my trailer.


I am the original poster and Don B. Is correct that is the outlet I was referring to. This was on a 2000 Monaco Knight. I am sorry I did not save the outlets for show and tell. I also did not write Help at the heading.


I am the original poster and Don B. Is correct that is the outlet I was referring to. I am sorry I did not save the outlets for show and tell. I also did not write Help at the heading.

David Kaiser

Have installed a Progressive Industries EMS-LCHW30 in our truck camper over the winter, before the installation we used a Honda EU-1000i to charge our boat batteries each night and then power the camper for tv, laptops, etc. and leaving the fridge on propane. Now the EMS won’t let power through because of an open ground (E-2). Didn’t I read something on this through your articles or the RV Newsletter? Thank you for all your great articles.


Mike, you missed the type of outlet he is talking about used in RV’s and Mobile Homes. They do not have a cover plate or electrical box to be installed into. You can recognize them by the two screws on the face used to hold them into the wall. They have a snap-on back used to cover the romex and hold the wires into the slots. Think of an extra large Scotch lock wire connector used to connect the wire, the connection pierces the insulation as the wire is pushed into the slot.

Larry M

Mike you have to remember when you’re dealing with RV OEM’s, your dealing with production minded people. Anything to save a few seconds or a few pennies is what they are all about. A side from the fact that the people that install the electrical in RV.’s are NOT electricians like you find in the residential construction trades. They are just people off of the street that are told to run this color wire from here to there with no real understanding of how electricity works.
What even worse is that the people guiding these folks have a very limited understanding of electrical and don’t even realize that a 50 amp RV service is actually a 240 VAC service with tow 120 VAC legs that actually add up to 100 amps @ 120 VAC.

Don B.


Sorry, what you described above is not what the original poster was talking about. What he described is an outlet where no insulation is striped off of the wire and is simply pushed down in between two prongs designed to cut into the wire to make contact much like a scotch lock connector on low voltage wiring. All of what you describe above is far superior to the inferior garbage that the RV industry is using. I am amazed that these type of plugs are approved anywhere let alone in a mobile earthquake rolling down the road.