Short fifth wheels have always made a lot of practical sense to me. Their overall length is manageable and will easily fit in most campgrounds, even state and national parks. But having the bedroom over the cab of your truck SUBSTANTIALLY increases the rig’s functionality and livability.
So does the rear kitchen layout of this rig that opens up the usable living space, even leaving enough room for a long desk workspace. Even better, underneath the desk is plenty of space to store your electronic devices. Of course, you can also use this space for dining. Whatever you use it for, it is positioned right in front of a large window so that you will always have a scenic view to enjoy. Well… maybe not ALWAYS. It will depend on where you park, of course.
A residential queen-sized bed dominates the bedroom. However, you can still maneuver around three sides of it (barely), so it won’t be too hard to change the sheets.
The bathroom is surprisingly large, especially considering the short size of the 5th wheel.
More nice features of the Coachmen Chaparral Lite 235RK
- Substantial cargo carrying capacity at 1,890 pounds
- Heavy-duty Road Armor suspension
- Vacuum-bonded Azdel sidewalls inside and out
- Furrion 60,000 BTU on-demand water heater system
- 190 watts of rooftop solar
- Stainless steel appliances
- 10-cubic-foot 12-volt refrigerator
- Lots of storage and cabinets throughout
- Porcelain foot-flush toilet
- Large amount of under-bed storage
What’s not to like?
While there might be dealers selling this as half-ton towable, it really isn’t. Watch the video at about the 2:30 mark for an explanation of why not. Even though it is lightweight, you do need a 3/4-ton truck or better.
If you are taller than 6’3” you might have to crouch in the shower. And while you can walk around the bed, it’s a little tight.
Coachmen Chaparral Lite 235RK specs
- Dry weight: 6,950 pounds
- Cargo carrying capacity: 1,890 pounds
- GCWR: 8,900 pounds
- Fresh water: TBD
- Gray water: 66 gallons
- Black water: 33 gallons
- 50-amp service
- MSRP: $46,807