Tuesday, November 28, 2023

MENU

Beer saves an RVer’s life

An RVer in Lowell, Massachusetts, says he owes his life to beer. Don’t head for the store to buy a six-pack just yet—there’s more to the story. It involves a propane explosion and good friends showing up at the right time. This is how beer saved an RVer’s life.

Motorhome shooting flames

Last week, Eugenio Medeiros bought himself a used Class C motorhome. On Thursday, he’d filled up the LP tank on the rig. The next day, Friday, he took the rig in and had the oil changed. After that, he’d parked the rig in a lot near the Portuguese American Civic League in Lowell’s Back Bank neighborhood.

Medeiros told a local news outlet that after he parked the rig, he had a notion to perhaps take a nap in his new unit. Prior to his snooze, Medeiros strolled into the civic club to chat it up with some friends. Before he could make good on the nap notion, a couple of friends bought him beers, delaying his walk back to the RV.

While sitting on a barstool in the club, another friend ran in the door with some news. Eugenio’s motorhome was shooting flames.

“Can opener tore the side off”

The Civic League building is located by some homes. In one of those homes lived the Darisse family. Melissa Darisse says she and her husband heard a loud “pop” and then felt a vibration that shook their home. Tim ran to check out the source of the sound, and found the Class C shooting flames out of a side vent. He ran up to the rig to see if anyone was inside.

Here’s what the Darisses told local paper, The Lowell Sun. “And then the next thing you know, there was another loud pop and the thing was engulfed,” Melissa Darisse said. “Like in a big huge ball of flames.”

Tim Darisse yelled toward the flaming vehicle to see if there was anyone inside. If there were, he recalled thinking they were probably doomed.

“The other side looked like a can opener tore it off,” Tim Darisse said. “The whole other side was literally blown off.”

Victim waxes philosophical

Firefighters responded and had the Class C inferno under control in about 15 minutes. Afterwards, neighbors noted the motorhome wasn’t the only thing damaged. One resident noted his windows had cracked from the explosion. A nearby building suffered melted siding from the intense heat.

As for Eugenio Medeiros, whose rig was a total loss? He waxes philosophical. “I was just about to go to sleep out there,” he said. “But a friend buys another beer, you hang out, and another friend buys another beer, you hang out. They delayed my death.” Yep, beer saves an RVer’s life.

##RVT1131b

Russ and Tiña De Maris
Russ and Tiña De Maris
Russ and Tiña went from childhood tent camping to RVing in the 1980s when the ground got too hard. They've been tutored in the ways of RVing (and RV repair) by a series of rigs, from truck campers, to a fifth-wheel, and several travel trailers. In addition to writing scores of articles on RVing topics, they've also taught college classes for folks new to RVing. They authored the book, RV Boondocking Basics.


Advertising

Comments

4.8 6 votes
Article Rating
Subscribe to comments
Notify of

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

9 Comments
Newest
Oldest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

JAMES (@guest_261785)
10 days ago

Because of beer I have a wonderful 45 year old daughter. I was in a bar and had a one night stand in 1977 and found out in 2022 that I have a beautiful daughter from a DNA test that my granddaughter took. we are in touch everyday and I visit her in Florida (I’m in AZ) every few months. Thank You BEER.

Stephen Malochleb (@guest_261778)
10 days ago

So if he had mentioned the brand of beer, I wonder if they would have bought him another motorhome!!

Ray (@guest_261767)
10 days ago

I guess he should have tested his gas lines for leaks, assuming the stove was not accidentally left on. It seems an appropriate follow-up story would be how to test one’s gas lines for leaks. it’s that time of year.

Steve Comstock (@guest_261737)
10 days ago

A most important aspect to this story, particularly for this group, would be the actual cause of the fire. Propane tanks don’t just blow up for no reason. Inquiring minds…..

Neal Davis (@guest_261336)
14 days ago

Yikes! Thanks, Russ and Tina! Seems as though this story has a couple of morals in addition to the one that Tommy Molnar noted. One, don’t sleep your life away or you may not awaken. Two, procrastinate, procrastinate, procrastinate. 😉 Pick one, two, or all three (counting Tommy’s). 🙂 😉

Last edited 14 days ago by Neal Davis
Admin
Diane McGovern
14 days ago
Reply to  Neal Davis

Words to “live” (literally) by, Neal. Thanks! Have a good night. 😀 –Diane

Neal Davis (@guest_261347)
14 days ago
Reply to  Diane McGovern

You’re welcome, Diane! Good night! 🙂

Tommy Molnar (@guest_261319)
14 days ago

This is a great story. Moral? Never turn down free beer!

Admin
Diane McGovern
14 days ago
Reply to  Tommy Molnar

👍😅 You got that right, Tommy! Have a great day. Cheers! 🍺 –Diane

Sign up for the

RVtravel Newsletter

Sign up and receive 3 FREE RV Checklists: Set-Up, Take-Down and Packing List.

FREE