|Heceta Head Lighthouse on Oregon Coast (Julianne G. Crane)|
The Heceta Head Lighthouse is one of the most, if not the most, photographed lighthouse in the world.
This breathtaking Oregon State Scenic Viewpoint is located on Hwy. 101, halfway between Yachats and Florence along the central Oregon Coast.
A perfect outing for the entire family, the Lighthouse and Light Keeper’s House were built around 1894 and both are listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The working 56-foot lighthouse sits midway up a 205-foot-tall headland. Its “first order” Fresnel lens casts an automated beam visible for 21 miles out to sea. It is the brightest light on the Oregon coast.
|Beach below Heceta Head (Julianne G. Crane)|
The Light Keeper’s House is perched further back from the lighthouse on a cliff with a magnificent view of the Cape Cove and the beach below. The Queen Anne style house features an interpretive center, and bed and breakfast facilities.
A 1/2-mile long walking trail leads from the fee parking lot to the lighthouse while gaining 150 feet in elevation. If you are unable to walk the path, sit at one of the picnic tables or stroll along the beach and take in the magnificent scenery and wildlife.
If you go:
The Heceta Head Lighthouse State Scenic Viewpoint
92072 S. Hwy 101, Florence, OR
|Heceta Head (Oregon State Parks)|
– Tours daily, March-Oct., 11 a.m. -5 p.m. (double check on times)
– The lighthouse observation area is open year round during park hours; by appointment throughout year. Call 1-800-551-6949.
– A $5 day-use fee is required. (This pass is good for parking the entire day at any state park. Visitors can leave one day-use fee park and travel to another.)
– For more information: Oregon State Parks.
|Light Keeper’s House (OSP)|
– Located in Keeper’s House.
– Guided tours summer months, Thurs-Mon., 11 a.m.-4 p.m., by appointment throughout year. Call: 1-866-547-3696.
– No charge for tours, however donations accepted.
Bed and Breakfast
– 15 guest capacity
– Fully equipped guest kitchen
– Parlors with amazing ocean views.
– Operated by a concessionaire of the U.S. Forest Service and can be reached at 1-866-547-3696.
– Best time to call: Monday-Friday, noon-4 p.m. (Pacific Standard Time). On the weekends in and out of the office.
Located on Hwy. 101 on the central Oregon Coast along the Pacific Ocean.
– About 13 miles north of Florence and 13 miles south of Yachats.
– 1/2 mile north of the world famous “Sea Lion Caves” near mile marker #178.
Camping at nearby Carl G. Washburne Memorial State Park. Click here for more information in an article on RVWheelLife.com.
— Julianne G. Crane
Photos: Chick on images to enlarge.