By Nanci Dixon
I know it is just a few weeks past Thanksgiving turkey, so perhaps that is why I find myself wanting more… or maybe it was just that the current turkey-breast-overstock in the stores triggered impulse buying. So, here I am with a bacon-wrapped turkey breast. The recipe says it needs to bake for about two hours in the convection oven but that is two hours too long! I’ve decided to experiment and try making it in the Instant Pot™ instead.
• 2 Tbsp olive oil
• 2 lb bacon-wrapped turkey breast (This particular one came pre-bacon-wrapped but it would be easy to wrap a breast in bacon and secure with kitchen string)
• 2 stalks celery, cut into large pieces
• 2 carrots, cut into large pieces, or 1 cup baby carrots
• 1 medium onion, cut into large pieces
• 2 large cloves garlic cut into thirds
• 1 cup chicken broth (I used Chicken Better than Buillon™)
• 1/4 tsp sage
• 1/4 tsp thyme
• Flour to thicken gravy
- Chop veggies.
2. Add oil to Instant Pot
3. Set Instant Pot to sauté. Once it’s hot, add turkey and brown on all sides
4. Remove turkey from Instant Pot
5. Add chicken broth, sage, and thyme
6. Place trivet in Instant Pot over broth
7. Add veggies
8. Add turkey breast
9. Set Instant Pot Manual High for 14 minutes (7 minutes per pound)
10. Allow natural release. Remove the lid when pressure button drops
11. Remove turkey and veggies
12. Set Instant Pot to saute.
13. Whisk in a small amount of flour to thicken or add flour to a small amount of water (usually an even ratio, about 1 Tbsp to 1 Tbsp works well), shake to mix and add to broth slowly for lump-free gravy.
Slice, serve and enjoy! It was delish! Next time I will use even more veggies and leave the baby carrots whole. They were on the verge of being too soft. And yes, there will absolutely be a next time. Yum!