Never use water to put out a cooking oil or grease fire

4

This video is just over a minute long, but please watch it. If you should ever experience a cooking oil or grease fire in your kitchen, whether at home or in your RV, do not try to put it out with water. After watching this video, you’ll see why. The results can be devastating!

##FT12-17 ##RVDT1301

4
Leave a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

  Subscribe  
newest oldest most voted
Notify of
Bob Godfrey

I once heard one of my children yell “DAD!” from the kitchen and got there just in time to stop water from being dumped on a pan of flaming cooking oil. Thank goodness too and lesson learned for the kids. Can’t leave them alone for a second right?

Hook-n-Haul

I cannot recount the number of kitchen fires I responded to in my 35 years as a volunteer firefighter. As you can see in the video, water and burning grease do not mix! It explodes! If you experience such a fire, turn off the burner and cover the pot/pan it with a lid to smother the fire. BY ALL MEAN DO NOT TRY TO CARRY A BURNING POT/PAN TO THE SINK OR OUTSIDE!! Burns hurt and homes burn. My kitchen is equipped with two 4-in-1, (A, B, C and K type fire) Non-toxic fire suppression canisters. I keep them at opposite sides of the kitchen so either one is reachable in the event of a stove fire. Remember, cover-to-smother.

Jillie

That happened with a neighbor down the street. A bacon dinner got away from him and well lets just say he is getting a new kitchen and the fire department is giving him a lecture.