Tuesday, July 5, 2022

MENU

Have you ever stayed longer than planned in a campground due to bad weather?

Bad weather can really cramp an RVer’s style, right? You certainly don’t want to leave your safe RV site to travel through a snow or hail storm, or hurricane, or intense wind storm…

Have you ever had to stay longer than you had planned in a campground due to bad weather? If you answer yes, please leave a comment and share your story.

Psst: Did you know we have a ton of articles about weather on our website? Find them here.

Comments

Subscribe
Notify of

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

51 Comments
Newest
Oldest
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
James Van Riper
2 months ago

I stayed an extra unplanned day at the Sparks Marina R/V park in Reno (sorry folks, no marina that we were aware of) a couple years ago. Tow vehicle (Suburban with almost 220,000 miles) decided it needed a new catalytic converter, so stayed an extra day to get a new converter installed. Park management understood our dilemma and made arrangements to let us stay the extra time required without having to move out 26′ travel trailer. Clean park, full hookups, and understanding management. What more would one ask for?

Jeannine
2 months ago

Our truck broke down just as we arrived at the campground. We were on the path of the infamous derecho of 2012. Trees were uprooted, damage everywhere & no power for miles around for a few days. We had to wait for power & communication to return so that our part could be ordered. Squeeze in the 4th of July to add another delay. We stopped for one night, and spent 8 nights! Against my husband’s wish, I always overpack, including extra food. Running the fridge on gas & using our gas stove, we lacked for nothing & we had enough clothes without having to do laundry. Whenever he tells me “don’t bring too much,” I remind him of this major incident!

John Koenig
2 months ago

Bad weather no. Covid Pandemic YES. I have left earlier than I had planned to get ahead of bad incoming weather. As far as I’m concerned, that’s just prudent planning.

DPJen
2 months ago

Left early once due to a crazy scary thunderstorm & campground surrounded by huge old trees!

Diane Mc
2 months ago

Twice that I can remember. Driving West on I10 in west Texas. Wind coming across (like it normally does.Traveled many times.). Dust. Exhausting fighting it. This was in the days you didn’t need to have reservations. Decided to stop early in Las Cruces. They were almost full then because of the weather. Checked the forecast and decided to stay 3 days. Even went up to Truth or Consequences, (in toad), wind/dust, oh my. But also went to museum in Alamogordo & White Sands. Making good out of a bad situation. Second time…east bound Texas in Junction. (There’s a theme here😂). Only suppose to stay overnight, but big storm coming in, so booked an extra night. Wise decision! It was also freezing, so roads not good as well. Surprisingly in the over 350K miles we traveled these past 25 yrs+, encountered bad weather but while stopped & it cleared before we needed to leave.

Bob Palin
2 months ago

High winds are the most common reason I stay extra time, I have also had snow and mud delay my exit.

MrDisaster
2 months ago

We got snowed in for a week in February 2019. We got about 2 feet of snow in Western WA, when a dusting was predicted. Some parts of the area (20 miles away) got the dusting! We dug out for 5 days before the park was able to get someone to plow out the park. Well, the guy cut an 8′ wide path but refused to clear the end of each spot. So we dug some more. Finally made the great escape to warmer climes. Made it to Plam Springs in three days and avoided the snow by taking the coast route.

Edd Langdon
2 months ago

Hello
Towing a 19′ Coleman Lantern. In Sept. 2017 we were camping in Kentucky at Big Bone Lick state Park.and headed home to Ft Lauderdale, our next stop was at Fort Mountain state park in North Georgia. We left Kentucky late but thought we could get there before dark. Well on the way there we hit a tropical storm coming up from Florida so it was slow going. We Made it to Fort Mountain in the pouring down rain and strong winds. We managed to find a ranger and he directed us to a site even though then the reservations were not site specific. I managed basic set up in the blowing rain. When we were able to get information from the news the main roads into FL were closed and there was no gas. We ended up staying at Ft Mountain for 6 nights instead of 2. The campground was very accommodating and we had a great stay after the storm left. Made it home safely and luckily our area was not damaged.

Bill
2 months ago

Have often waited for snow to stop and roads to be cleared.
Made an unplanned 10 day stop because a gust of wind blew in our windshield.
Got stuck in snow going into campsite on one occasion. Wife called tow truck, started cooking dinner. By the time tow truck arrived, I had chains on and was able to move into site, but tow truck got stuck in the same place. He was able to push himself forward a few feet at a time with the hydraulic wheel lift bars until he could drive, didn’t stay for dinner.

Sally Harnish
2 months ago

Several times. One time off I-81 in Virginia on account of snow. A couple of times at the Elk’s Lodge RV Park in Boulder City, NV. due to winds.

Janet Newman
2 months ago

We have never had to change plans due to weather. But in 2019 we set out for 7 weeks out west from our home in Kentucky. Day by day by week, Covid shut down national parks and museums we’d been eager to experience! When California’s governor threatened to invoke martial law, we regrettably canceled 10 days of reservations in San Diego and Palm Springs, and instead stayed 15 nights in Tucson at Rincon East 55+ resort. It was lovely and restful. We kept all our other reservations and sat under our awning and just relaxed for the final 2-3 weeks. Seeing Branson, MO looking like a ghost town was so sad!

Lisa Adcox
2 months ago
Reply to  Janet Newman

We stayed at a workamping job longer due to the Pandemic. We were in Junction,TX and were planning to leave in April and campgrounds closing all over. So the next park we were scheduled for closed. We decided after talking to management to stay where we were. Did not leave till August. Was a great decision. The Park stayed busy the whole time we were there. Met people who are now lifelong friends.

Jeff Craig
2 months ago

Once that I can recall, but we hadn’t really planned to stay there. We had to stop in Rawlins, WY due to wind shutting down I-80 near Laramie and stayed there for about 36 hours, over 20 hours longer than planned.

And we still had to backtrack and go several hours out of our way to bypass the 70MPH wind gusts in our Class A.

Roy Davis
2 months ago

We got flooded in once when all the roads around the campgrounds were flooded. We have done the opposite of this question, left early because of the forecast. That might be a good follow-up question.

Mary
2 months ago

Just this past December several inches of snow fell in Eugene, OR and caused us a fortuitous delay in traveling. Hubby ended up with a severe infection that would have been disastrous had we been on the road.

Ron Jewell
2 months ago

We stayed an extra day in Tucumcari, NM, because of bad weather that never came. On the same trip we had to leave the FamCamp at Offutt AFB early because a tornado damaged many of the trees. The electric poles on the highway were snapped like match sticks. It did light damage to our trailer, but our trip continued at rv parks in Nebraska City and Lincoln. It makes for great conversations now 5 years later.

mark d generales
2 months ago

We were in AZ leaving for the east. From Cottonwood near Sedona, we were to head to Flagstaff to connect to I 40. The next day was to have 30mph winds, higher gusts and at least 2 -4 inches of snow. We stayed an extra day. Glad we did and rv park let us. High winds that night. Cold but not freezing. Next day we sat right there and when we finally left, no wind and Flagstaff and the roads had cleared. But snow was all over the place. Who needs to drive an rv in it? Thanks to our hosts for the extra day!

Irvin Kanode
2 months ago

One time in Louisiana we had to leave a day early because the bayou had risen to touch the trailer tires and more rain was forecast.

We once had to skip two stops and drive for 24 hours (with sleep breaks) to beat high winds forecast for TX and NM.

Tom
2 months ago

Not at a campground but at in laws for a few extra days.

Ozzie
2 months ago

1 day over due to high winds.

Don
2 months ago

Had to stay an extra three days at Bordertown in Nevada due to weather, high winds and snow. Hwy 395 closed to all high profile vehicles. Winds at Bordertown gusted between 80-90 mph.

Sign up for our newsletter

Every Saturday and Sunday morning. Serving RVers for more than 20 years.