Tuesday, October 4, 2022


Have you cancelled camping reservations for the summer? 

We’re dreading asking you this question because we know our hearts will sink with the answer. Have you cancelled any or all of your camping reservations for this upcoming summer?

If you have cancelled your reservations, is that because the parks advised you to or because you feel like you won’t be able to camp anyway? If you haven’t cancelled yet, do you think you will be forced to? Do you think the parks and campgrounds will still be closed?

Many campgrounds and parks are starting to reopen, some just for local residents and others with restricted access. We can’t say for sure where we’ll be by July or August, but we sure hope we can sit around a campfire somewhere…

What campground/RV park were you most looking forward to camping at this summer? Were your camping reservations part of a larger trip or were they for a weekend close to home?

After you vote, please leave a comment.


Notify of

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Kurt Shoemaker Sr
2 years ago

Maybe you should have also asked “Have you made any summer vacation reservations” .

Mary Carlson
2 years ago

We want to cancel our Washington State Parks reservation because we now plan to not travel to that area due to the heavy Covid-19 cases. If we do we lose a big chunk of what we paid. Their example on their website gives this example:

If you cancel or reduce nights on a reservation seven or more days prior to your scheduled arrival date you will pay a cancellation fee, lose the reservation fee and 30% of the camping fees. So if you paid $98 your refund is reduced to $55. The percentage you lose can be up to 50%.

We are hoping the state cancels camping for the month of June. If they do we will get our $384 dollars back versus about $150.

Hank Smith
2 years ago

We had not made any reservations, but we usually don’t! However it has changed where, when, and how long we may travel this summer. We are in Texas and were going East as far as NY state, however that plan is out. We are going north and west, but not to CA. Midwest and over as far as Utah west. Plans after that thought are flexible and subject to change, easily

2 years ago
Reply to  Hank Smith

Hank, Utah is open for business…we just stayed at Aspen Grove rv park in Tremonton, UT. It’s a fairly new park. 2 years so the trees are still young but the pads and patio are cement and large grass between sites…owner is following all guidelines and is holding his winter pricing over to summer. Many sites available, this young owner need help. Please patronize his park…don’t want to see him go bankrupt.

2 years ago

It is easier said with reservations that were cancelled by law rather than choice, that is us. We lost reservations this week for cape disappointment.

2 years ago

I think you should have added. “have held off making any reservations, for now”

Ron V
2 years ago

Had not made any reservations yet. One rally in June was canceled, though.

Sharon E Amenta
2 years ago

We haven’t cancelled our reservations in Ct.We’ve been in contact with park manager and are still staying in place for now in FL where we’ve been since Dec.Waiting until things calm down and things open slowly in Northeast.

Ron H.
2 years ago

We had reservations at a Thousand Trails park for the last week of May and first week of June. We didn’t cancel, but Thousand Trails did it for us.

Marilyn Grinnell
2 years ago

Regarding today’s poll, we had reservations for campgrounds in Kentucky and Tennessee in May. We live in a state with a high number of covid19. My husband has cancer and we decided the smart thing to do was cancel. We’re grateful we live year-round on a beautiful lake.

2 years ago

I have cancelled all my reservations in Canada. Of special note is that even tho’ we can’t cross the border to take advantage of our reservations, Canada is keeping $42 of each one of my reservation fees.
Yeah…pretty pissed off about that. {bleeped}.

2 years ago

We have not cancelled any of our National Park reservations because they will notify us if they cannot accommodate us due to Covid19. In which case we get a full refund, no cancellation fee. Having pre-paid for our reservations is not causing any hardship so we will wait it out. Let the parks make the decision. The parks decision will be governed by regulations as laid out by our provincial government concerns about Covid19 precautions. Stay safe, everyone!

Abe Loughin
2 years ago

No, nope, didn’t do it. Life goes on. I refuse to live life afraid of things that are out of my control. I will take precautions, I’m not stupid after all. Social distancing, mask when appropriate, washing my hands, etc. But life is too short as it is to waste it waiting for something that may never come. I’m a believer that when your time is up, your time is up. So when my bell rings I will thank God for what I was given and on to meet him.

Rory R
2 years ago

I have cancelled all my reservations for the summer. I would like to note that only some CG in Fl, did not return the deposit. I don’t know if this has happened to anyone else. I understand and when I asked about it, they told me it could be used at a future date against CG fees when I do stay there, and they sent me an email with a “reservation number” on it, for want of a better phrase.

Danny Evans
2 years ago

We don’t make reservations except when we are on the road and call ahead of where we’re going. In other words we wing it. We had planned to go to Quartzite, Arizona in march but of course postponed the trip. No reservations. We’re planning on some trips soon. Again, no reservations. Reservations provide too much structure. We head to where we think we might go and end up wherever. Didnt participate in the poll as no answer really fit us.

Marilyn Grinnell
2 years ago
Reply to  Danny Evans

We usually wing it too, reserving a spot as we travel. It works for us because we’re not on anybody’s schedule but our own. See my note above. We planned to travel with friends and had to cancel May reservations.

Jon Meyer
2 years ago

I didn’t cancel any reservations, however the IN DNR cancelled one in May.

Janet Herrell
2 years ago

No, we didnt have any trips planned for this year.

Mike & Cathi Stark
2 years ago

Actually I cancelled all of the reservations I had in place as of March. Now I have booked new reservations based on changes in travel plans.

Confused Camper
2 years ago

June family gathering (wedding) delayed because of virus (no, the “kids” didn’t get it) so we cancelled a State Park one-nighter and several days at a private camping resort. Got full refund from private campground, but because some rather odd regulations got only $4.80 refund from the $24 State Park res (cancelled through the internet). Called the State Parks and was told that if the park was closed on the date of the reservation call them back for a full refund. Go figure. Today it is not listed as being closed then, but you can’t make a reservation for that date at that park because it might be closed then. It’s really crazy.

Gloria Wenstrand
2 years ago

No, I didn’t cancel. but the national parks cancelled my reservation.

2 years ago

Sadly, my reservations were cancelled for me by the parks and organizations involved in the rallies I attend. I still hope to do some camping out east this year (MA, CT, VT and Canada) if I’m able.