Saturday, June 10, 2023


RVelectricity – Just Ask Mike (J.A.M.): Emergency generator CO poisoning reminder

Welcome to my J.A.M. (Just Ask Mike) Session, a weekly column where I answer your basic electrical questions. If you’re a newbie who’s never plugged in a shore power cord (or ask – what’s a shore power cord?), or wonder why your daughter’s hair dryer keeps tripping the circuit breaker, this column is for you. Send your questions to Mike Sokol at mike (at) with the subject line – JAM. This week I want to remind you of the dangers of CO poisoning when running a generator.

Dear Readers,

Portable generators will be hard to come by for a while.

Just in the last few days I’ve received a ton of emails about how to connect a portable generator to your bricks-and-sticks house during a power outage. Of course, this is due to Hurricane Ida bearing down on the Gulf Coast, which will have struck in full force by the time you read this on Monday.

While I’ve been covering all the electrical issues surrounding powering your house with a portable generator, CarGenerator, your RV’s built-in generator, or even a Ford F-150 PowerBoost’s generator, this JAM session will be about the dangers of CO (carbon monoxide) poisoning due to running ANY generator nearby or even inside of your house.

What is CO (carbon monoxide) poisoning?

Fully combusted fuel produces a lot of carbon dioxide (CO2) (as do you in your exhaled breath). So, as long as your C02 levels don’t get too high it’s only moderately dangerous. However, incomplete combustion from any gasoline or diesel engine, natural or propane gas-fired furnace or water heater, or even a Heat Buddy catalytic heater, can indeed produce a large amount of CO (carbon monoxide) fumes.

And these fumes are VERY dangerous even in small concentrations. Symptoms include lethargy, dizziness, confusion and can even lead to death. Most victims of CO poisoning simply fall asleep and are found dead the next day. And, sadly, entire families are sometimes found dead. Carbon Monoxide poisoning won’t wake you up – it lulls you to sleep.

Why is CO so dangerous?

Because your lungs don’t produce CO naturally (remember, your own breath includes CO2 [carbon dioxide]), your body will absorb carbon monoxide fumes like a sponge. And CO interferes with your body’s ability to absorb and process oxygen (02). Hence, even a small amount of carbon monoxide in your body will essentially cause you to drown while in the air. So CO doesn’t have to displace all the available oxygen in the room. Only a tiny amount will cause your body to ignore the available oxygen in the room!

NEVER do this!

  • NEVER run a portable generator outside anywhere near an open window
  • NEVER run a generator in an attached garage or your basement
  • NEVER run a portable generator inside of your house 
  • NEVER run a portable generator underneath your RV
  • NEVER park a vehicle with the engine idling close to your house or RV

CarGenerator Safety

Yes, a CarGenerator is perfectly safe to use for emergency power in this circumstance as long as you keep your vehicle’s exhaust AWAY from your RV or house.

I recommend you use a heavy-gauge 25-foot (or longer) extension cord to connect any portable generator to your house. Keep any exhaust at least 20 feet away from your house.

And NEVER, EVER let a vehicle idle inside of your attached garage, or any garage for that matter. Any exhaust fumes will quickly spread throughout your residence and endanger everyone in it.

CO detectors

I also recommend installing carbon monoxide detectors in any residence. Your RV should already have one from the factory, but your bricks-and-sticks house may not. So, please get a few of them and install according to directions.

It’s cheap insurance, as ANY natural or LP gas furnace or water heater can produce CO gases if the vent pipe becomes restricted or the combustion chamber cracks. Been there, done the that.

Don’t backfeed a generator into your home electrical system

Unless you already have an appropriate generator transfer switch or interlock installed at your house (and don’t think you can find one now), it’s safest to just run extension cords from the generator into your house to power the important things like your refrigerator, freezer, basic lights and your cell phone chargers.

For a 3,600 watt generator with duplex 20-amp receptacles you’ll want to run a pair of 50-ft, 12-gauge extension cords into your house, making sure to keep the generator exhaust far enough away from any open windows. Most safety agencies recommend keeping your generator at least 20 ft distance from any open window or door.

Play it safe…

OK, everyone. Remember that portable generators are actually very safe, as long as we pay attention to all safety precautions while using them.

Let’s play it safe out there….

Mike Sokol is an electrical and professional sound expert with 50+ years in the industry. His excellent book RV Electrical Safety is available at For more info on Mike’s qualifications as an electrical expert, click here.
Join Mike’s popular and informative Facebook group.
And you don’t want to miss Mike’s webcasts on his YouTube channel.

For information on how to support RVelectricity and No~Shock~Zone articles, seminars and videos, please click the I Like Mike Campaign



0 0 votes
Article Rating
Subscribe to comments
Notify of

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
24 days ago

Lost converter power – so no A/C, microwave, etc. Then lost 12V lights, fans, etc. I was told there might be a 50-amp breaker under my Thor Tellaro somewhere near the rear axle. The dealer tech person who has been great said it could be anywhere, since the manufacturers put them wherever is convenient to them when building. I cannot locate. Any thoughts?

1 year ago

I would like to know how to test CO detectors. At one time I bought about 30 NAME BRAND battery CO detectors for rental properties. I had a bunch extra so I put some of them in my garage and RV.

After a few months I notice none of them had ever alerted. I was pretty curious so I vacated my house of pets & humans and ran a car and a generator in my garage for an hour+ and none of them went off! I took the one from my RV and two brand new out of the box and did it again. NOTHING! I have yet to email the company but I find this atrocious.

SO, is there a safer way to routinely test CO alarms? Similar to the canned ‘smoke’ used to test smoke alarms {I know that stuff sucks as well}.

Anyway, I no longer feel safe ‘trusting’ my family’s life to consumer grade safety devices!


Chuck Dunn
1 year ago

Mike, Have you ever talked about which types of batteries can be used for Coach batteries?

Jeff Craig
1 year ago

When I looked at replacement detectors for my RV two years ago, all had Li-Ion batteries with a ten year lifecycle. Combo Smoke/CO detectors in the front and rear of our RV, and one in the garage, entryway into the house from the garage and hallway to the upstairs bedrooms is cheap life insurance!

1 year ago

After every hurricane, they will find those who put the genset in their house, garage, etc. CO2 kills, very simple.

Mike Sokol
1 year ago
Reply to  tom

Yep, and that’s why I repost this safety information periodically.

1 year ago
Reply to  Mike Sokol


Sign up for the

RVtravel Newsletter

Sign up and receive 3 FREE RV Checklists: Set-Up, Take-Down and Packing List.