Wednesday, February 1, 2023



Dogs or cats and chocolate: Lethal combination?

Ask the RV Vet

With Dr. Deanna Tolliver, M.S., DVM

Dear RV Vet,
I know that chocolate can be bad for dogs, but what about cats? We travel with a 5-year-old cat, Harley, and Bowen, a 7-year-old Shih Tzu. Thanks. –Jack H.

Hi Jack,

These may be welcomed by your Valentine, but keep them away from your furry friends.

With Valentine’s Day just around the corner, this is a great time to talk about chocolate toxicity in our pets.

Cats rarely eat chocolate; they are usually more discriminating than dogs about what they eat. However, chocolate can be slightly more toxic to cats than dogs, so it is a concern for both species.

Let’s say your pets have been alone in the rig for a few hours. You forgot to put that heart-shaped box of chocolates out of reach of the dog, or in a cabinet away from the cat. When you get home, you find the box on the floor with several pieces missing. You ate only a couple of pieces before you left. Should you be concerned? Yes!

You should call your vet or the Pet Poison Hotline (see below for details) right away. You will be asked several questions. Let’s use Bowen as an example.

•Do you know how many pieces Bowen may have eaten?
•Are the wrappers also gone? Are they paper or foil?
•Does the candy appear to be milk chocolate?
•How much does Bowen weigh?
•Is Bowen having any symptoms (see below)?

Because you don’t know who ate the chocolate, you’ll be asked the same questions about Harley.

Here’s why the answers to these questions are important:

•Chocolate contains theobromine and caffeine. Dogs and cats metabolize these compounds much more slowly than humans, allowing the compounds to reach toxic levels before being broken down. This makes their toxicity dose-related, meaning the smaller the dose, the less likely there will be problems. That’s why it’s important to know how many pieces Bowen may have ingested.

•Candy wrappers may contribute to digestive upsets, and could potentially cause a GI blockage.

•The type of chocolate is very important. In general, the darker and less sweet the chocolate, the more toxic it will be. For example, white chocolate has very low levels of theobromine and caffeine.


While RVing, have you ever had to rush your pet to a vet in an emergency?
Click here to answer

In order of less toxicity to the most:

•Milk chocolate
•Semi-sweet chocolate (as in chocolate chips)
•Unsweetened baker’s chocolate
•Cocoa powder

For a 30-pound dog like Bowen, four ounces of milk chocolate would produce only very mild, if any, symptoms. But four ounces of cocoa powder in the same dog would cause a severe toxic emergency, even death; the dog would need immediate emergency care.

•Weight: Because toxicity depends on the weight of the animal.

•Symptoms: Vomiting, drooling, diarrhea, agitation, hyperactivity, tremors, seizures, possibly death.

If you know it has been less than two hours since Bowen ate the chocolate, and IF he isn’t showing any symptoms, your veterinarian may suggest a way to induce vomiting. You could also call the Pet Poison Helpline.

If it’s been more than two hours, or if Bowen is showing symptoms, you need to rush him to a veterinarian.

There is no specific antidote for chocolate poisoning. Treatment depends on the severity of symptoms, but may include basic supportive care (IV fluids, gastric lavage) and ECG monitoring. Your veterinarian may also want to do diagnostic tests such as a blood chemistry panel and urinalysis.

*Most dogs and cats survive because their owners sought immediate medical treatment.*

Calculate how much chocolate is toxic for your pet at this website or at When using the calculators, a general rule is that 3.5 ounces is equal to a large chocolate candy bar.

And don’t forget other foods that could be toxic: chocolate covered raisins, brownies, chocolate chip cookies, flavored vitamins.

Need an easy reminder of the foods your dogs and cats can and cannot eat? This great fridge magnet is a helpful resource. 

Finally, post this number on your refrigerator and/or put it in your phone: Pet Poison Helpline: 855-764-7661. (There is a $59 charge for using this service.)

Dr. Deanna welcomes your questions. Email her at 

Dr. Deanna Tolliver has been a full-time RVer for a little more than 3 years, although she has been an RVer for several more. She pulls a fifth wheel with her 1-ton dually truck. Her travel companions include 4 small dogs (3 Chihuahuas: Tootie, Chiquita, and BooBoo, and a Yorkie, Janie), and a 36-year-old Yellow-Naped Amazon Parrot named Toby. She has a BS and MS in biology and zoology, respectively, and a Doctorate of Veterinary Medicine from the University of Missouri, Columbia. She owned a veterinary hospital for many years and recently handed over the reins to a new owner. Her hobbies include sewing, especially quilting, crafts, reading and writing. 



If you value what you learn from, would you please consider becoming a voluntary subscriber by pledging your support? Every contribution, no matter how modest, helps us serve you better. Thank youLearn more here.

Facebook Groups you might like
RVing with Dogs
RV Tech Tips
RV Advice
Towing Behind a Motorhome
RVing Over 70
. . . and the official Facebook page

Winterizing your RV this season? Amazon has a wide choice of RV antifreeze.


0 0 votes
Article Rating
Subscribe to comments
Notify of

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
4 years ago

I have to debunk your chocolate myth. My dogs have gotten into chocolate, godiva and et all and they are still here. Even the one dog knew how to unwrap a package and got to em all. So no, dogs are not allergic to chocolate. There might be a chemical that might make them react? But no. Our three are still here even after having their way. Plus why would some dog treats contain chocolate or cocoa? So hate to say it, let em rip with chocolate.

Dr. Deanna
4 years ago
Reply to  Jillie

Hi Jillie,
Sorry….the problems with chocolate and dogs is not a myth. Dog and cat sickness, and even death, from chocolate is a documented fact.
If you read the article, you would see that dogs are not “allergic” to chocolate. The offending toxin is called theobromine.
The chocolates you describe that your dogs ate sound like milk chocolate. Again, as the article shows, that is the least toxic, depending on the size of the dogs and how much they ate.
Please let me know the names of the treats that have chocolate or cocoa. And if you want to “let em rip with chocolate” you are putting your dogs at risk, one that is not warranted and easily avoided.

Patti L
4 years ago

Thanks, Doc. I am getting the reefer magnets for the house, the fifth wheel and for my daughter’s reefer also.

Dr. Deanna
4 years ago
Reply to  Patti L

Good for you Pattie! I have one on the window next to the door in my fifth wheel.

Allen Walker
4 years ago

Very useful article. Thanks!

Dr. Deanna
4 years ago
Reply to  Allen Walker

Thanks, Allen. I appreciate your comments!

Subscribe to our newsletter

Every Saturday and Sunday morning. Serving RVers for more than 20 years.