Free and inexpensive places to stay with your RV in the U.S. and Canada!
When it comes to free places to stay a night in an RV, Walmart is the best bet. We estimate that about 80 percent of all its stores in the USA allow stays in self-contained RVs.
Other businesses that allow free overnight stays include Flying J Travel Centers, Cabela’s, Cracker Barrel restaurants (official policy is overnight stays are NOT permitted although most stores allow the practice), Costco and Kmart. Many RVers routinely stay in shopping center or factory outlet parking lots. Many casinos allow or even encourage overnight stays in RVs.
Recent reports of free and inexpensive places to stay with an RV:
Culbertson County EB Rest Area, Van Horn, TX
FREE! Overnight parking is allowed. State of TX allows parking (not camping) for up to 24-hours in rest areas on all highways. Exit to rest area, park parallel to curb. Very close to highway, with significant traffic noise. Restrooms, drinking fountain, and picnic tables on-site. Click here for details.
Fire Rock Casino, Church Rock, NM
FREE! Overnight parking is allowed. As of now, permission is not required. Park in far west parking lot (the employee lot), without obstructing traffic lanes. The lot is fairly level, well-lit and appears safe. Restaurant and snack bar in the casino. Click here for details.
Overnight RV Parking, with more than 14,000 locations listed, is the largest and best resource for locating free and inexpensive places to spend a night in an RV. For membership information and a demo of the site, click here. A modest membership fee required, but try the free demo. Watch a video about OvernightRVparking.com.
From our Facebook Group, Free Campgrounds
•There is a place called Magnolia Beach, not really backcountry, but it’s free, right on the water, about 2 – 2.5 hrs. from Houston, TX. —Yvonne van Grevenhof
• Check this out. It is a casino in Ferndale, WA. —Ruth Joynes
• On I-26 in Tennessee a few miles before the North Carolina border there is a scenic overlook. It has RV lanes and not a “no overnight parking” sign anywhere. Stayed a few months ago and quiet and no issues. —Jerry Emert
See last week’s free (or almost free) locations here.
• Walmart Directory: Best printed directory of Walmart locations
• Guide to Free Campgrounds: Best-selling directory, year after year.
• Overnight RV Parking: More than 14,000 location listings. Inexpensive membership required.
• Harvest Hosts: Members can stay free overnight at farms & wineries.
• Walmarts that do not allow overnight RV stays.
• Video: Where to camp for free in an RV.
• Video: How to camp in an RV at Walmart for free.
• Video: Best source of free and inexpensive RV camping.
• Video: Which “Big Box” stores allow free RV camping?
• Video: RV camping for less than $1 a day. Stay months.
• Video: Okay to stay overnight at truck stops?
• Video: Camping at Elk Lodges. An amazing bargain.
Walmart Free RV Parking
• Walmart’s official policy about overnight stays in RVs.
• The ABCs of “camping” at Walmart.
• Guidelines for overnighting in an RV at Walmart.
• RV park owners say “Walmart campers are cheapskates.”
• The appeal of boondocking in the desert.
• Articles and information from RVtravel.com about boondocking.
• Six safety tips for overnight RV stays at casinos.
• Free camping at wildlife refuges.
• Why overnight RV parking at truck stops is a bad idea
• Try winter boondocking at LTVAs in AZ and CA deserts.