Saturday, December 3, 2022


RVelectricity – Just Ask Mike (J.A.M.): Another electric space heater fire


By Mike Sokol
Welcome to my J.A.M. (Just Ask Mike) Session, a weekly column where I answer your basic electrical questions. If you’re a newbie who’s never plugged in a shore power cord (or ask – what’s a shore power cord?), or wonder why your daughter’s hair dryer keeps tripping the circuit breaker, this column is for you. Send your questions to Mike Sokol at mike (at) with the subject line – JAM. This week I continue to emphasize the safety precautions to follow when you use an electric space heater.

space heater fire
Recent mobile home fire caused by space heater

Dear Readers,
This mobile home fire caused by an electric space heater happened just last week less than a thousand feet from where I live. We saw and heard the fire trucks racing in front of our house, and noticed that they blocked car traffic on my street.

This seemed strange because Funkstown Engine 10 Fire Company is 500 feet down the hill from me, and all kinds of other fire departments seemed to be converging there.

What happened?

There’s a small mobile home court in Funkstown, and one of the trailers was completely burned out in the middle of the night. The brief version of the report from the Fire Marshal indicates the cause was an electric heater. A further read of the expanded report revealed there was no operational smoke detector in the house trailer. That’s a recipe for disaster.

The single resident in the trailer survived the fire but ended up in the hospital with injuries from smoke inhalation. His dog and two cats were found wandering around the yard. They were rescued by neighbors and are being taken care of until the man can recover and find a new place to live. As you can imagine from the picture, the house trailer and all its contents were a complete loss. So, he lost everything except for his life and the lives of his pets.

Why did the electric space heater cause a fire?

I have a call in to the fire marshal for more information on this particular fire. However, older mobile homes like this one often used aluminum wiring, which can be dangerous if not properly maintained.

And it’s possible he was using a corroded plug on the electric heater. Or it might have been plugged into a worn outlet in the trailer that began to overheat and caused the fire. But in any event, the homeowner didn’t have a working smoke detector in the trailer. He barely made it out with his life.

What can you do to stay safe with an electric space heater?

Never hook up any kind of electric space heater with a power strip. They just don’t have the contact area to be able to withstand the continuous amperage of an electric space heater. If you must extend it, be sure to use a heavy duty extension cord with 12 gauge rated for 15/20 amps. Those skinny orange cords will quickly overheat.

Watch for flammable things

power strip fire
Demonstration on the Today show about power strip fire hazard

Always keep any electric space heater and its power cord away from anything flammable. Here’s a picture from the Today show a few years ago. They conducted a demonstration that illustrated how a space heater overheated a power strip and caught on fire. That’s scary….

There was another fire in my area two years ago. In that incident newspapers were laying on a string of power strips feeding an electric space heater in the living room. Tragically, both the homeowner and his mother (living in the same house) perished in the fire. And they didn’t have an operational smoke detector either.

Check your outlets, cords and plugs for signs of overheating

If you see any signs of melting or discoloration of your electrical plugs or outlets, then the damage has already been done. By the time there’s any melting you really need to replace the outlet it was plugged into, and probably the plug itself.

if you don’t replace a melted electrical connector immediately you risk starting a fire which may even begin inside the wall of your RV or house. So replace any electrical outlet or plug with signs of overheating ASAP. Don’t put it off until later – that may be too late.

Check those smoke detectors

Check to be sure that the smoke detectors in your house and RV are all operating properly, and replace any batteries when recommended.

If you have additional questions about fire safety, please contact your local fire department, who will be happy to help confirm that your smoke detectors are properly installed and operating, even in your RV. And please check the smoke detector “replace by” date.

For more information about this topic, please read one of my previous articles HERE.

Please stay safe, including when using electric space heaters

OK, everyone. Remember that electricity is a useful and powerful force, so we all need to pay attention to safety precautions while using it.

Let’s play safe out there….

Mike Sokol is an electrical and professional sound expert with 50+ years in the industry. His excellent book RV Electrical Safety is available at For more info on Mike’s qualifications as an electrical expert, click here.
Join Mike’s popular and informative Facebook group.
And you don’t want to miss Mike’s webcasts on his YouTube channel.

For information on how to support RVelectricity and No~Shock~Zone articles, seminars and videos, please click the I Like Mike Campaign


Did you enjoy this article?

Click on a star to rate it!

Average rating 0 / 5. Vote count: 0

No votes so far! Be the first to rate this post.


Notify of

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
1 year ago

Even newer RV systems are prone to electrical issues. The outlet that serves the built-in electric “fireplace” and space heater in our 2015 Heartland – one that uses the press-in wiring that’s so common to units like these – melted.

One chill morning, I went to switch on the heater, and it fizzed a bit and turned itself off. I tried again, same result. I went to the cabinet where the outlet was, and it was nearly all gone. The outlet had melted, shorted out, and melted the appliance plug along with it. Through all this, the breaker never tripped. Our smoke alarm didn’t go off.

I pulled the heater, replaced the plug, and tried it on a know-good power source. It was toast. I checked the wiring connections at the breaker, and replaced the outlet with a screw-terminal residential duplex in a remodel box with only one outlet wired hot.

So far, so good. I replaced the fireplace, and it has never had so much as a warm plug. I also use it only sparingly now.

1 year ago

Redundancy is great in safety systems. New lithium smoke/CO detectors are small, light and relatively inexpensive.They are so light that they can be mounted with command strips. Batteries last for up to 10 years. Mount a second detector in case the first fails.

Mike Sokol
1 year ago
Reply to  Richard

Great idea. And I’m looking for a smoke/CO/LP detector expert to interview for an “Ask the Expert” YouTube video.

1 year ago
Reply to  Richard

My 10 year smoke detector lasted 3 months. Will not trust that type again.

1 year ago


How do you get people to think about SAFETY??? Pretty difficult to do!

Either you are a SAFETY minded Person or You are NOT! The latter usually does not end well

Last edited 1 year ago by Really
Mike Sokol
1 year ago
Reply to  Really

Great idea….. thanks!

Subscribe to our newsletter

Every Saturday and Sunday morning. Serving RVers for more than 20 years.