Friday, July 1, 2022


Best ways to tow a vehicle behind a motorhome

What’s the best way to tow a vehicle behind a motorhome? Walter Cannon of the Recreational Vehicle Safety and Education Foundation explains the three most popular methods, citing each’s advantages and disadvantages.

The most popular method is towing your “toad” (also often called a dinghy) four wheels down. But not every car or truck can be towed for various reasons. There’s also one big downside besides being limited to certain vehicles: you almost certainly will not be able to back up, which can be a problem when getting fuel or even on a back road where you unexpectedly need to turn around but don’t have room. In that case, you’ll need to unhitch the towed vehicle and then hook up again once you’ve made your u-turn.

Other methods are to use a tow dolly or a flat bed trailer. But these, too, have have their plusses and minuses.

There are other things to consider as well, as Walter explains.



Notify of

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
1 year ago

I’m wondering what he ment on tow bars that with 90% of them you can’t back up! So what about the other 10%, I sure would like to know!

John Koenig
1 year ago

My auto is NOT tow-able “four down”. I bought a Featherlite car trailer (with an air dam) to tow my Prius.

One negative Walter does NOT mention re tow a DOLLY is that some roads PROHIBIT the USE of tow dollies. The NJ Turnpike and NJ Garden State Parkway quickly come to mind. Other states have roads on which tow dollies are “verboten” too. I first learned this from an RV repair shop owner (I was skeptical when he told me but, I was easily able to confirm online that there was indeed, a on ban tow dollies from using the NJ Turnpike and NJ Garden State Parkway). VERY FEW RVers are aware of this “gotcha” and, ignorance of the law is NO excuse. I have never seen a list of roads / states that have this particular ban. It seems to be something a motorist will have to search out carefully them self in order to stay legal.

John Koenig
1 year ago
Reply to  John Koenig

OOPs! I didn’t realize I had already posted this info several months ago.

1 year ago

Excellent quickie video, short and to the point. I flat tow, don’t need another vehicle at the RV pak.

John Koenig
2 years ago

You neglected to say that when using a tow dolly, there will be certain roads that do NOT allow use of tow dollies. The NJ Turnpike quickly comes to mind; there ARE other roads in other states that ban the use of tow dollies on certain roads (usually limited access highways) as well. I learned of this restriction when I was considering the purchase of a tow dolly (an RV repair shop owner mentioned this “gotcha” which I WAS able to confirm online). Most people have NO idea that this restriction exists until they’re cited for it. Said restriction seems to be a well kept secret and, RVers who use tow dollies may have to do extensive research to learn exactly which roads they need to avoid.

Bob Packer
1 year ago
Reply to  John Koenig

That’s the reason I am thinking about buying a utility trailer to haul my little toad.

Bob Robinson
2 years ago

WD 40 is a water dispenser and really not an oil..but it will work for many applications but best for what it’s designed..I like Amsoil Metal protector and sometimes silicone base products work great also but for sure WD40 is not a cure all oil product..Enjoyed the vehicle towing video..learned a little and nice job by the fellow..

John Koenig
2 years ago
Reply to  Bob Robinson

I seriously doubt that WD40 DISPENSES water. I do think that it disperses / excludes water.

Sign up for our newsletter

Every Saturday and Sunday morning. Serving RVers for more than 20 years.