Free and inexpensive places to stay with your RV in the U.S. and Canada!
When it comes to free places to stay a night in an RV, Walmart is the best bet. We estimate that about 80 percent of all its stores in the USA allow stays in self-contained RVs.
Other businesses that allow free overnight stays include Flying J Travel Centers, Cabela’s, Cracker Barrel restaurants (official policy is overnight stays are NOT permitted although most stores allow the practice), Costco and Kmart. Many RVers routinely stay in shopping center or factory outlet parking lots. Many casinos allow or even encourage overnight stays in RVs.
Recent reports of free and inexpensive places to stay with an RV:
Cowboy Travel Plaza (Conoco Truck Stop), Orlando, OK
FREE! Overnight parking is allowed and permission is not required. Park at the north end of gravel lot, just north of the building, with trucks, or on west side of the building, without obstructing other vehicles. Level, hard-packed gravel, well-lit and appears safe. Likely noise from trucks also parked here. Small BBQ restaurant on site. Click for details.
Home Town Café (Closed), Santee, CA
FREE! Overnight parking is allowed, but you must obtain permission from adjacent Home Depot. Home Depot doesn’t report RVers who park overnight provided they have permission and advise store security that you’re there with permission. Park near closed Home Town Buffet, don’t obstruct traffic lanes. Restaurants within walking distance. Click for details.
Overnight RV Parking, with more than 14,000 locations listed, is the largest and best resource for locating free and inexpensive places to spend a night in an RV. For membership information and a demo of the site, click here. A modest membership fee required, but try the free demo. Watch a video about OvernightRVparking.com.
From our Facebook group, Free Campgrounds:
“Natchez Trace Parkway. Approximately 450 miles of good (slower) driving from Nashville to Natchez. Free camping along the trace at three campgrounds: Meriwether Lewis, Jeff Busby & Rocky Springs. Camping is on a first-come, first-served basis with no full hookups but there are bathrooms (clean) with heat, lights, running water & flush toilets. Nice countryside with lots of history.” —Carol Ann Parslow Moore
“A beautiful free beach to boondock on is Magnolia Beach about 100 miles south of Galveston, Texas. 2 miles long. You park your rig 10 feet from the water. They have a nice bathroom.” —Albert Wax
Please join our Facebook group and share your favorite free camping spots or submit free or inexpensive campground information to us here. Thanks!
See last week’s free (or almost free) locations here.
• Walmart Directory: Best printed directory of Walmart locations
• Guide to Free Campgrounds: Best-selling directory, year after year.
• Overnight RV Parking: More than 14,000 location listings. Inexpensive membership required.
• Harvest Hosts: Members can stay free overnight at farms & wineries.
• Walmarts that do not allow overnight RV stays.
• Video: Where to camp for free in an RV.
• Video: How to camp in an RV at Walmart for free.
• Video: Best source of free and inexpensive RV camping.
• Video: Which “Big Box” stores allow free RV camping?
• Video: RV camping for less than $1 a day. Stay months.
• Video: Okay to stay overnight at truck stops?
• Video: Camping at Elk Lodges. An amazing bargain.
Walmart Free RV Parking
• Walmart’s official policy about overnight stays in RVs.
• The ABCs of “camping” at Walmart.
• Guidelines for overnighting in an RV at Walmart.
• RV park owners say “Walmart campers are cheapskates.”
• The appeal of boondocking in the desert.
• Articles and information from RVtravel.com about boondocking.
• Six safety tips for overnight RV stays at casinos.
• Free camping at wildlife refuges.
• Why overnight RV parking at truck stops is a bad idea
• Try winter boondocking at LTVAs in AZ and CA deserts.