Free and inexpensive places to stay with your RV in the U.S. and Canada!
When it comes to free places to stay a night in an RV, Walmart is the best bet. We estimate that about 58 percent of all its stores in the USA allow stays in self-contained RVs.
Other businesses that allow free overnight stays include Flying J Travel Centers, Cabela’s, Cracker Barrel restaurants (official policy is overnight stays are NOT permitted although most stores allow the practice), Costco and Kmart. Many RVers routinely stay in shopping center or factory outlet parking lots. Many casinos allow or even encourage overnight stays in RVs.
Recent reports of free and inexpensive places to stay with an RV:
Lewis Park, Wheatland, WY
ALMOST FREE! Overnight parking is allowed! The city park has 10 fairly narrow gravel sites with E hookups. Some sites 50A, others 30A. Potable water and dump station across the street. Sites nearly but not perfectly level. Well-lit from baseball field lights. Occasional trains can be loud. Outdoor swimming pool within walking distance, open seasonally. Gazebos, baseball field, tennis courts, playground, 9-hole disk golf course. Open all year. No reservations. Max stay: 3 days in any 30-day period, 2020 rate: Donation; donation box provided. Click here for details.
Cozy Corner Bar & Gas Station, Lavinia, MT
FREE! Overnight parking is allowed and permission is not required. Park in dirt/gravel lot on S side of the gas station. Lot is uneven with some level spots, unlit, and fairly quiet. Station has no attendant and is open 24/7 for credit card sales only. Diesel fuel available. Click here for details.
Overnight RV Parking, with more than 14,000 locations listed, is the largest and best resource for locating free and inexpensive places to spend a night in an RV. For membership information and a demo of the site, click here. A modest membership fee required, but try the free demo. Watch a video about OvernightRVparking.com.
Two new guides to free campgrounds
Roundabout Publications has teamed up with the Ultimate Public Campground Project on these two new guides. Discover thousands of designated camping areas in the West and in America’s Heartland – real places – not big box store parking lots. Included are areas managed by various governmental agencies. Learn more about the West edition or Heartland edition.
Please join our Facebook group, Free Campgrounds, and share your favorite free camping spots or submit free or inexpensive campground information to us here. Thanks!
From Facebook user Chris Miller: “You can dry camp at Bogus Basin ski area near Boise, ID. The Silver Queen parking lot is usually empty and provides amazing views.”
See last week’s free (or almost free) locations here.
• Walmart Directory: Best printed directory of Walmart locations
• Overnight RV Parking: More than 14,000 location listings. Inexpensive membership required.
• Harvest Hosts: Members can stay free overnight at farms & wineries.
AFFILIATE OFFER: Save 10% on campground fees when you join the Good Sam Club!
• Video: Where to camp for free in an RV.
• Video: How to camp in an RV at Walmart for free.
• Video: Best source of free and inexpensive RV camping.
• Video: Which “Big Box” stores allow free RV camping?
• Video: RV camping for less than $1 a day. Stay months.
• Video: Okay to stay overnight at truck stops?
• Video: Camping at Elk Lodges. An amazing bargain.
Walmart Free RV Parking
• Walmart’s official policy about overnight stays in RVs.
• The ABCs of “camping” at Walmart.
• RV park owners say “Walmart campers are cheapskates.”
• The appeal of boondocking in the desert.
• Articles and information from RVtravel.com about boondocking.
• Six safety tips for overnight RV stays at casinos.
• Free camping at wildlife refuges.
• Why overnight RV parking at truck stops is a bad idea.
• Try winter boondocking at LTVAs in AZ and CA deserts.