Free and inexpensive places to stay with your RV in the U.S. and Canada!
When it comes to free places to stay a night in an RV, Walmart is the best bet. We estimate that about 65 percent of all its stores in the USA allow stays in self-contained RVs.
Other businesses that allow free overnight stays include Flying J Travel Centers, Cabela’s, Cracker Barrel restaurants (official policy is overnight stays are NOT permitted although most stores allow the practice), Costco and Kmart. Many RVers routinely stay in shopping center or factory outlet parking lots. Many casinos allow or even encourage overnight stays in RVs.
Recent reports of free and inexpensive places to stay with an RV:
Belterra Casino Resort, Florence, IN
FREE! Overnight parking is allowed and permission is not required. Park in long narrow lot on N side of SR 156, next to golf course and across highway from casino. No hookups, no water, no dump station. The lot is well-lit. Steak house and buffet in the hotel. Click here for details.
US 287 & 385 Roadside Picnic Area, Boise City, OK
FREE! Overnight parking is allowed. State of OK has no policy either allowing or disallowing overnight parking in these areas, and states that rest areas have no on-site security, so those parking overnight do so at their own risk. This rest area is off, parallel to & separated from highway. The lot is level but unlit. Should be safe and reasonably quiet. Two sheltered picnic tables, and trash barrels on site. Click here for details.
Overnight RV Parking, with more than 14,000 locations listed, is the largest and best resource for locating free and inexpensive places to spend a night in an RV. For membership information and a demo of the site, click here. A modest membership fee required, but try the free demo. Watch a video about OvernightRVparking.com.
Please join our Facebook group, Free Campgrounds, and share your favorite free camping spots or submit free or inexpensive campground information to us here. Thanks!
“Wilderness Landing Park in Baker, FL. Free and has hot showers and flushable toilets and by the river. You can stay 14 days.” — Lisa Morgan Caldwell
“Rood Creek Park in Omaha, GA…free on the river. Close to Florence Marina in GA..about an hour drive from Columbus…Georgia’s Grand Canyon isn’t 30 mins away…” — Penny Pierce
See last week’s free (or almost free) locations here.
• Walmart Directory: Best printed directory of Walmart locations
• Guide to Free Campgrounds: Best-selling directory, year after year.
• Overnight RV Parking: More than 14,000 location listings. Inexpensive membership required.
• Harvest Hosts: Members can stay free overnight at farms & wineries.
AFFILIATE OFFER: Save 10% on campground fees when you join the Good Sam Club!
• Video: Where to camp for free in an RV.
• Video: How to camp in an RV at Walmart for free.
• Video: Best source of free and inexpensive RV camping.
• Video: Which “Big Box” stores allow free RV camping?
• Video: RV camping for less than $1 a day. Stay months.
• Video: Okay to stay overnight at truck stops?
• Video: Camping at Elk Lodges. An amazing bargain.
Walmart Free RV Parking
• Walmart’s official policy about overnight stays in RVs.
• The ABCs of “camping” at Walmart.
• Guidelines for overnighting in an RV at Walmart.
• RV park owners say “Walmart campers are cheapskates.”
• The appeal of boondocking in the desert.
• Articles and information from RVtravel.com about boondocking.
• Six safety tips for overnight RV stays at casinos.
• Free camping at wildlife refuges.
• Why overnight RV parking at truck stops is a bad idea
• Try winter boondocking at LTVAs in AZ and CA deserts.